Steering

-

cuda620

Reaction score
Is it necessary to swap out the center link and associated hardware on a 67 A body big block swap? I have the 187 pan. But my idler and pitman both have the nuts facing up. It’s a 318 K member and the center link has some drop in it. Will it work? Thanks, Mark

So if you search some conversations here most guys seem to to agree all 66-72 center links were the same. Now having said that I have had problems with center links hitting the exhaust and oil pan on a small block car. This was due to motor mount problems.
On a 67 unless someone has changed the k frame, the pitman arm is a one year only.

sorry for the split reply. I couldn’t edit that I wrote pitman arm and meant idler arm. The big block idler arm is also slightly different between big block and others.

Ok, thanks. Gonna put a 400 B in a 67 barracuda. Just wanted to see what I was gettin into. I have a 318 in it now. Manual steering and brakes. My old man car. Lol! Probably the last car I’ll build…

I’ve felt about the same but I’m still five projects deep…
Are you using the Schumacher mounts?

Schumacher, yes. Exhaust? Undecided yet….
sorry hit the wrong button what i ment to say was i have a 383 in a 72 duster with fender well hedders the rub on the front tires now im doing a 67 barracuda with a 500 and a elephant ears not sure what hedders either

Ok so header options are 1.) fenderwell headers. I don’t like them because of the amount of metal you cut out to fit them. As well as the fact you loose most of your wheel clearance. 2.) TTi headers are chassis exit and work with auto and manual. They are a bit pricey. 3.) Schumacher headers. Also pricey but fit almost everything. TTi’s website offers shorty as well as long tube that fit.
Huge amounts of bits have been spent on discussing manifolds and which ones work and which don’t. Rumors are that the B body and C body hp manifold works on the left of a low deck motor in an A body. C body left needs to be angle machined to clear the column and the B body requires you to cut back the column to the firewall. I still have to mock mine up in the body. As soon as I can get away from work I will post photos of the C body as well as B body.

Just remembered. If you are more handy, search in these discussions. There are a few discussing using hedman B body headers also. Those headers will not let you run power steering. But the price is right.

After I get my 470 installed I'm going to probably make my own step headers 2 to 2.175.
2 tubes in frame 2 out.
I want to run a 27 inch tall front runner since my back tires are about 31 tall.
what about dougs
I don't think Doug's makes a big block a body header.
Is it necessary to swap out the center link and associated hardware on a 67 A body big block swap? I have the 187 pan. But my idler and pitman both have the nuts facing up. It’s a 318 K member and the center link has some drop in it. Will it work? Thanks, Mark
There's always the headman 1.75 b-e body headers. They fit but manual steering and like any other headers you will have to clearance some of the tubes.... Like they say if it was easy everyone would do it. Unless you like small blocks

sorry hit the wrong button what i ment to say was i have a 383 in a 72 duster with fender well hedders the rub on the front tires now im doing a 67 barracuda with a 500 and a elephant ears not sure what hedders either
You can go back to the posts and press remove on those nasty red X.
In case you didn't know God sees those and bases if we go to heaven or hell on those nasty red X....lol

You can go back to the posts and press remove on those nasty red X.
In case you didn't know God sees those and bases if we go to heaven or hell on those nasty red X....lol
I appreciate your information. I was going to leave everything in the conversation so if there is anything useful it is all there. I’m here to help guys with information. A private message or open discussion I will try to give the most informative info I can. I don’t know where anyone’s skill level is so if I give good information they can make their own judgement. In short a red x means nothing without information explaining why.

After I get my 470 installed I'm going to probably make my own step headers 2 to 2.175.
2 tubes in frame 2 out.
I want to run a 27 inch tall front runner since my back tires are about 31 tall.

I don't think Doug's makes a big block a body header.

There's always the headman 1.75 b-e body headers. They fit but manual steering and like any other headers you will have to clearance some of the tubes.... Like they say if it was easy everyone would do it. Unless you like small blocks
Can you make hedman headers fit in an a body with an RB?

Here’s the link and it includes an article.

Please post photos of your headers. Some guys are saying an RB won’t fit with power steering.

Can you make hedman headers fit in an a body with an RB?

Here’s the link and it includes an article.

Please post photos of your headers. Some guys are saying an RB won’t fit with power steering.
I went a different direction, I don't have time to make headers. I went and ordered tti 2 to 2 1/8 step headers.
I think the only way someone could run power steering would be with fenderwell headers with a b or rb

Even with manual steering my B Body Hedmans make solid contact with the steering box on the 383. The 440 might actually fit a little better, I think if I had a little more height clearance would be better. That’s just speculation on my part, no experience with the RB in an A.

-
Back