Step up spring clarification? AVS2

-
I am running a AVS-2 1906 650 cfm on my 5.9 with a Oregan cams roller.
This morning I changed my primary jet from a 95 to a 98 using the same rods... my Wideband says it is now running leaner !
WTF ?
Try running the next stronger spring. The larger jets changed your vacuum profile.

The leaner is ok.
The dynamics between timing and jetting is interesting / frustrating.
Yes I learned to get the baseline timing and idle settings as close as I could. Then study the wideband and seat dyno making small changes. Every change effects the others so understanding what the carburetor is trying to do allows one to select the next component change. With a little patience one gets to a point that you can't improve on. I am convinced that after two years of trying I am finally there with my car.

The 650 AVS2 I put on my 340 runs pretty good out of the box but can stand a bit of tuning. I don't have an AFR and won't for a while. What's the best way to clean the plugs after a change is made to get a good reading? Or is that even needed?

I know what the plugs are supposed to look like. I can't determine tuning changes other than richer or leaner and there is so much more. Read the plugs to determine which way you need to go but don't change jets yet. If you are rich go one size larger rod and lean go one size smaller rod. Use your vacuum gauge to determine which way to go with the spring. That should get you in the game.

-
Back