Stereo power question (help!)

-

4flats

Reaction score
Before anyone jumps me for posting this question here, instead of the electrical page, Have you read any of those post? Seriously? Those guys are speaking Chinese over there. I have a wiring question, but I honestly don't know if I will understand the answers!
I installed a low-end Pioneer CD player. Now it shuts off when I turn on the lights, and not just the headlights, but even the parking lights. No problems with brake or turn. I used the original radio power for the acc-on and the clock power for 12v constant. when it shuts off, I lose all my pre-sets, so I'm guessing neither of these are up to the task. I can run a dedicated wire from the battery, but then the stereo will not turn off with the key, and I'll probably leave it on one day and drain my batt. My first plan was to put relays on my headlights, but now that I know it happens with the parking lights, I'm really starting to worry about my 42 year old light switch and wires.
Anyone out there an electrical genious who hasn't lost the ability to speak english? If you hadn't noticed, I am terrified of terminally screwing-up my wiring to the point where the engine will not start/run (I've done it before!!!)

There should be both a yellow and a red wire. Some are different but the yellow is usually HOT all the time and the red is a key on hot. You can run a wire right to the battery just put a fuse link in it. Find something that is hot all the time and hot with the key on and hook them up like that. Going to the battery will work but wouldnt recommend it

I would run a wire to the battery for the yellow contant power connection on the stereo. The other wire should work fine for the acc power. If it keeps doing what you're describing, you've got an issue somewhere. It's worth testing the light switch.

Do any of guys know which of these wires the stereo draws it's "amp" power from (constant or acc)? I noticed that this morning, the stereo would turn off if the volume was too high. I think it is pulling to many amps for the wires I hooked it up to, again, it's not a "high-powered" unit. Would a bad ground do this? I forget what I used for the ground, I think a screw in the dash.

Thanks for thinking about this - I hate electrical stuff!!

Do any of guys know which of these wires the stereo draws it's "amp" power from (constant or acc)? I noticed that this morning, the stereo would turn off if the volume was too high. I think it is pulling to many amps for the wires I hooked it up to, again, it's not a "high-powered" unit. Would a bad ground do this? I forget what I used for the ground, I think a screw in the dash.

Thanks for thinking about this - I hate electrical stuff!!

ACC. The constant is just to hold presets. Does it power off, or just cut audio? If it's cutting audio it's probably internal protection. If the whole thing turns off, that's a different problem! Does the stereo have an orange or orange/white wire on it? If so, what did you hook that up to if anything?

ACC. The constant is just to hold presets. Does it power off, or just cut audio? If it's cutting audio it's probably internal protection. If the whole thing turns off, that's a different problem! Does the stereo have an orange or orange/white wire on it? If so, what did you hook that up to if anything?
It powers off, but comes right back on on it's own, doesn't lose presets. Best I can recall, the only wires it had that were not speaker leads were yellow - constant, red - ACC, black - ground, blue - power antenna (taped it off). My biggeat concern is that if the stereo is starving, what is happening to my light switch and other old wiring? I don't want to burn the car to the ground!

Do you have a gauge to monitor voltage? Could your volts be dropping below the stereo's threshold?

Do you have a gauge to monitor voltage? Could your volts be dropping below the stereo's threshold?
I've got one, to be honest, not sure if I know how to use it! I mean I can check batteries and alternators and stuff, but what is an acceptable drop? At what point should I worry about my switches and wiring? If I test on either side of the switch, how much voltage drop is OK? Weird thing is, my headlights are not dim. I had an ignition switch burn out in a truck and a headlight switch actually catch fire in another car and never really got either of those fixed "right", so sorry if I sound a little paniced!

What kind of vehicle is this in, I had a similar problem with an s-10. The wipers stayed on with the car off. It turned out to be a bad ground.

-
Back