Stereo Removal

-

ellococt

Reaction score
I wanted to remove the factory stereo to get the wires i need to wire up my aftermarket stereo and put it in the glove box. But i dont know how to get the radio out? Its a 1971 plymouth scamp can someone give me an idea of what i need to do? thank you :cheers:
DSC01729.jpg

That's not a factory stereo I've ever seen. Looks like an old aftermarket one.

At any rate the knobs should still pull off reveiling nuts behind them as well as a brace on the back side to some point on the dash frame.

You'll need to remove the ashtray and its hanger. Beware the cig lighter wire. Its hot ! Best plan is remove the neg' battery cable before you start.
If there arent any nuts on the knob shafts, whatever hareware will be behind the unit.

Can I run new wires even if the current radio is working? And if so where do I run the new wires from? Ty for all ur help

Can I run new wires even if the current radio is working? And if so where do I run the new wires from? Ty for all ur help

You can yes. You need a Constant hot(hot all the time) a keyed hot(hot only when the key is on) and a ground(which could also be your antenna) if your installing after market speakers. Just run new wires to them from your new radio. Remember to get yourself some type of wire protector if you do plan to run new wires.

You can yes. You need a Constant hot(hot all the time) a keyed hot(hot only when the key is on) and a ground(which could also be your antenna) if your installing after market speakers. Just run new wires to them from your new radio. Remember to get yourself some type of wire protector if you do plan to run new wires.

Ok but where do I run thee wires from? The fuse box under the dash? Or?

Ok but where do I run thee wires from? The fuse box under the dash? Or?

Yeah that would be the best way. Use a test light to find your hots. You could splice into the wires in the dash. I dont recommend it. I also want to say that if you do make darn sure your connections are good and tight. Use some good connectors solder if you can.

-
Back