Sticking seat belt help needed

-

74desertduster

Reaction score
I purchased some seat belts from a 74 Duster and want to install them. Most everything works good but the retractors for the shoulder belt.

These retractors keep engaging the stopper no matter how slow I pull the belt out.

I have posted a pic for visual aide. I have cleaned them up very well and lubed the moving areas too....any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian

[email protected]

belt.jpg

I had the same issue with the 75 shoulder belts I got for my 73. From what I remember you have to loosen the collar screw ( silver band ). It should be just loose enough to allow the plastic inner to move freely but have enough friction to kick in when the belt is yanked. Mine still lock up if it' really cold out and I'm in a hurry, but I KNOW that they will still work in the even of an impact
To get an idea of what the mechanism is doing, pull the belt really slow to see what kicks the stopper in.

this might sound dumb. but check to see if the belt twisted. that happened to me the other day, the belt dident even look twisted either.

when minwe did that the retractors were basicly junk, replaced them with after market belts.

I have pulled the belt all the way out and cleaned it as well. It retracts fine, just sticks no matter how slow I pull it. I will play with the silver band adjustment.

I have watched it many times trying to figure out what is going on so I could fix it....my feeble mind has yet to figure it out...lol

Thanks for all the help

Brian

The reels I got out of van and installed in the 73 had to be oriented so that the belt pulled out vertically. If the reel is tilted, it doesn't work as well or as consistently.

-
Back