Sticky Clutch Pedal

-

CUDA69

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of this type of problem? At first start up my clutch pedal moves perfectly smoothly. Once everything warms up it sticks so badly that it the pedal releases in big steps. From a dead stop you have to guess where to stop letting the clutch out to for partial engagement. It makes it look like you don't know how to drive a stick.

It has a new throw out bearing that pushes on a Center Force Dual Friction clutch. I removed the big overspring when I upgraded to the Center Force. It worked fine since 2002, but last year it started hanging up. The TTI headers clear the Z bar and I have grease on the tube that the throw out bearing slides on. I can't believe that the pressure plate is hanging up. It is a little hard to get staged but I have made a bunch of passes with it like this.

I inspected them and repacked them with grease. They are good. It works great cold but not when warmed up.

I would heat it up, then start from the first moving part at the trans.
Take the pusher off of the fork, manually operate the fork (with a bar or wrench or something ). If that checks out install the pusher and move the z-bar with a wrench.
It might end up being the bushings at the pedal pivot shaft.
It's possible that the metal is heating up just enough to start "grabbing"

I had an issue just like you are describing but it was with a hydraulic setup..I fought that thing for months thinking it was the pedal or the fork or something...(found it by accident when I pushed the clutch in without the return spring on ) ....turned out that the return spring on the fork was too big...went to a lighter spring and it quit doing that, but now feels like a civic clutch

I was having that same problem with my cheapy diaphram clutch. it was like that for about 3 months. one day I got "upset" and really beat on the car/clutch (drove it hard) and all the sudden it started working smoth again? I think what went on was something in the diaphram spring portion of the cluch was hanging up and it just worked its self out. Not saying to go out and "beat on your car" but it may be something in the pressure plate itself.

-
Back