Sticky Shoulder Harness REPAIR

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Guys........If you have shoulder belts from the factory, you've probably cursed them a few times in your A-Body life.......No?

The things can stick and make your Cruisin' life a little miserable.

I wanted to post the FIX for these little gems while I'm hot on the stinking subject.

I'll post 3 pics below............. Remove your back seat bottom, and then remove the 2 philips screws holding your plastic shoulder harness cover on.....remove the plastic cover and slide it out of your way....tape it up out of ther way if you have to.

Next, remove the star head bolt from the harness assembly, and the philips alignment screw just below it.

There is a steel pin held in by a c clip on the opposite side from the pic. Remove the clip, and slide out the pin. Next, remove the white plastic cover from the side of the shaft assembly (the other side cover says "do not remove"...it holds the spring assembly....my advice? Do not remove...you don't need to).

Once you've removed the plastic cover, you can see the roller assembly....the problem is where that little assembly is attached to the "axle" itself.....it wears a bit, and becomes sloppy, causing too much friction.....then when you pull on the strap, it locks.....%$#$# !!)

Simply dribble a few drops of 3 in one oil (or marvel) down between the steel housing and the roller assembly.....you need a little oil to get between them where the shaft is. After you oil it a little, work the oil in by moving the strap in and out....you should feel immediate results.

Now reverse the process.....put the plastic cover back on, replace the steel pin, put on the clip, re-attach the assembly to the car (and be SURE your belts are aligned properly, NOT twisted).....replace the outer cover....THEN, do the OTHER SIDE while you have the seat out!!! (you lazy bums).

Put the seat back in, and VOILA' !! Mopar Heaven again. 8)8)8)8)8)

112_1209.jpg

112_1210.jpg

112_1211.jpg

I assume you tested it to make sure it still locks when pulled fast. like an impact. I always figured it would work of centrifugal force not friction.
Is Pastortom1 the newest inductee to the tech archive??

...........and yes, it does work by centrifugal force, not friction.

That's purely the point of the oil...........It reduces the friction of the nylon against the "axle" caused by age and wear, thus returning the action of the spring loaded catch to centrifugal force alone.

With the friction left unaddressed, the belt mechanism catches at even a very slow speed of "pull", and sometimes locks up altogether, making for a curs-ed good time....if you gets me drift.

Oil..........A little dab'll do ya'. 8)

-
Back