Still Arguing with the Slanty- '67 Plymouth Barracuda 'Vert

-

Gen2Cudas

Reaction score
Morning Folks.

Anyway, still arguing with the Slant on whether it will start and run- and I am sure now that I have it narrowed down to the Holley.

Bring you all up to date: new gas tank, new sending unit with sock, new rubber, steel lines blown out, new fuel pump, new filter and fresh rebuild on the Holley. . .

. . .Intake/exhaust gasket replaced, heat riser reconditioned, lower manifold heat system cleaned and checked, everything torqued. . . everything points to a healthy motor inside- compression, oil condition, plug condition, etc. . .

Points (.020 gap), condenser, plugs, rotor, cap, good wires, reconditioned and relubed distributor, timing set 5 before and steady as a rock- overall advance with vacuum about 25 at around 2000 rpm. . .

. . .and still having to start the thing with a shot of B-12 down the throat. It will not idle for long and won't restart until it gets another shot. It will run at around 1500 rpm and higher- but it misses as it does so. Temperature great at 160 degrees. . .

. . .and it totally ignores the one lonesome adjustment screw at the base!

Looked down the throat while it runs- fuel in fat droplets just raining down onto the throttle blade.

Darned thing must run on voodoo or something.

I got a pic of every part of the carb- maybe there is something missing inside. . .

Or, anybody got a Carter BBD? I may want to ****can this thing. . .

Mike

'67 cuda convert. 2009 001.jpg

'67 cuda convert. 2009 002.jpg

'67 cuda convert. 2009 003.jpg

'67 cuda convert. 2009 004.jpg

'67 cuda convert. 2009 005.jpg

'67 cuda convert. 2009 006.jpg

The carb shouldn't drip gas. You definitely have a n issue there

Rebuilt the carb again and put it back on. Ran without issue cool and rather high idle, but still needed a B12 vitamin shot to wake up.

Once hot, would not idle for very long- yet, ran acceptably at high idle and higher.

On the theory that the valves may be crudded up, put a bottle of lead substitute in and can of B12, filled her up. Wifey and daughter put in it, me behind in a chase truck, headed out for a little drive. Had to restart twice, but got her on the highway and up to 60-70 for a few miles. Pulled over and changed drivers, brought it back- now running lots better at idle, and will start without too much grinding on the starter without the helper. . .

Will next try some insulation over the fuel lines. . .

Stay tuned!

Mike

-
Back