Still love my car but......

-
all of these sugestions are good but make sure you cover you radiator with some card board. You Will Hit It. And the pee stream of coolant out of the radiator will real piss you off.

Thanks for the offer Moper...I might be taking you up on it. My idea failed miserably. The threads were not very strong and crumbled with just a little pressure on them. I'm going to try and pick up a good set of vice grips and give it one last shot with the heat before pulling the cover. You guys are right though. The penetrants I'm using aren't getting to where the bolt goes into the block. I am making a list of additional parts I am going to be needing just in case. Thank god its almost payday so I can spend my money on parts. I feel like I'm 16 again....hahaha

Ok surgery has started......Pretty close to attempting to take the timing cover off.....Down to the crank pulley and vibration damper from crank. Before I go and break anything else is the 1 1/4 crank bolt reverse threaded or is left going to loosen the bolt?

The penetrants I'm using aren't getting to where the bolt goes into the block.

I still say your bolt is NOT stuck in the block, it is stuck in the timing cover
and i'll also tell you this, IF I am right (which I may very well not be, but bare with me here) if I am right, you will NOT be able to remove that timing cover without breaking it because that bolt will hold it on and you will crack it trying to remove it

my money is still on drilling it out

Ok surgery has started......Pretty close to attempting to take the timing cover off.....Down to the crank pulley and vibration damper from crank. Before I go and break anything else is the 1 1/4 crank bolt reverse threaded or is left going to loosen the bolt?

regular thread, righty tigty, lefty loosy

You might be right but I noticed a crack around one of the bolt holes on the timing cover so I'm going to need to replace it anyways...I'll let you know what happens soon hopefully. Thanks for the info

Crank bolt is lefty loosey righty tighty. Put your 1 1.4 socket on it with a long breaker bar laying on the crossmember...tap the starter and the bolt will be loose. You may end up needing a balancer puller kit.
PM me with your mailing address and I'll get a timing cover on the way. No charge.

Well you were right diymirage.....That cover was holding on for dear life. I ended up prying the cover off and with it came the entire end of the bolt....It pulled a couple of the threads out with it.....Ill assess the damage tomorrow but it looks like I will either need to helicoil it it re tap the hole. The timing chain is really loose on the left side and pretty tight on the right...Not sure but I think its almost a good omen that all of this happened.

glad you got it off
be sure to send Mrbill00 a PM, that's a great offer

sounds like the bolt wasn't even all the way threaded
there is a chance you can chase the threads and have enough meat left on the bottom to put in a new bolt
if not, a helicoil, or better yet, a time-sert

sounds like now would be time to replace that chain (no pun intended)
get yourself a good double roller one and you'll never have to worry about it again

I PM'd MrBill last night. I see a huge discrepancy on Double Roller type timing chains....The engine its going in, as far as I can tell is pretty bone stock. Pricing I see is around $50 all the way up to $110. Except for the price what company offers the quality parts I need for a 340 rated at 240HP?

I feel your pain all too well... I learned this all the hard way starting off with my Duster eight years ago knowing little to nothing about wrenching on cars and having no one around with experience to give me advice (save for this forum which I found a couple years later). I figured out that in the long run it saves a lot of time and money to just rebuild the whole damn thing basically from the ground up than try to struggle with rusty fragile 45-year-old parts being replaced one or a few at a time.

I hope you get your car back together and running well without any hiccups; not to jinx it but it's only a matter of time before more stuff breaks or falls apart from age so you'd better be ready for it lol.

The cars is going back together. MrBill00 thanks again for the timing cover it cleaned up nicely...Got everything I took off the engine all cleaned up and painted and hopefully the cover will be back on tomorrow night. Cleaned up all the threads on the bolt holes for the cover and put the new double roller chain on. Still have to clean up the fan and shroud but the radiator although it looks to be a replacement and has no numbers on it that I can find looks a hell of alot better with a fresh coat of paint on it.

Well finally got the front of my engine all buttoned up yesterday. New timing cover thanks to mrbill00, timing chain, water pump, thermostat,new hoses,and freshly painted pulleys and radiator. The front of the engine looks pretty good. Can't fire her up till I get my new dash pad so I can reassemble the dash and put the gauge cluster back in. While I'm waiting I need to pay off some of my paypal credit debt.

I guess you know we will need a pic.....

Try to imagine he entire engine with a fresh coat of Chrysler Blue....hahaha

Attachments

• IMG_2115.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2116.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 136
OK so I would never make it as a mechanic, Figured while I had nothing going on today I would at least fill up my car with coolant. Started fine then I had a pretty heavy leak. Looked to be coming from where the lower radiator hose connects to my brand new waterpump. Tightened everything again....more coolant...More coolant on the floor and in the bucket. Removed the alternator to get a better look. Pour more coolant in and get a very good view of where the water is coming from. Me being a dumbass IT guy forgot one of the bolts holding the timing cover in place. The bolt thats being blocked by the waterpump so I removed what I needed to remove including my brand new waterpump and put the bolt in and tightened it down. Will clean up the gasket residue tomorrow and reassemble it.Oh the pain. No excuse for it but I will chalk it up to another learning experience that will never happen again.

not sure if it was mentioned before, but several of those bolts will need some form of sealant on them to keep from weeping

what you use for sealant is personal preference

She's all back together again. So far leak free. After assembling it again and filling with coolant the previous leak was all set. Did see some seepage coming from the water neck so I had to remove it and found the gasket had a small kink in it that was leaking. Off to Advanced Auto to get a new gasket and then cleaned up all of the old gasket residue and reassembled it all. Let the sealer dry for about an hour and filled her up with coolant, Dry as a bone right now. I will take another look tomorrow but so far it looks like I am ready for the next task on the to do list.

Glad it is coming along. Corrosion in the water jackets is no joke. I tried in vain to remove coolant sensor and heater hose fittings in my old poly intake, broke every one of them even after hitting them with a torch. Had to drill them out and tap with NPT taps. It was a pain in the butt.

-
Back