Still need the magnum flexplate?

-

JohnnyC

Reaction score
If I have the 5.9 Magnum serpentine Harmonic Balancer,do I need the Magnum flexplate also,or does the balancer provide the balance for the engine?
If I was to go with LA style belt set up will the 360 LA balancer work on the Magnum?
Talked to previous owner and he was under the impression the LA 360 balancer and 318 flexplate were enough.

You would need either the magnum flexplate or a 360 balanced converter.
The balancer from the 360 works fine on the magnum.

You would need either the magnum flexplate or a 360 balanced converter.
The balancer from the 360 works fine on the magnum.
That's what I thought,I just needed clarification from the experts.
When I got the car It had an LA timing cover, LA 360 balancer and 318 torque convertor and flexplate.
I knew it wasn't right.
Thanks for your help

That's what I thought,I just needed clarification from the experts.
When I got the car It had an LA timing cover, LA 360 balancer and 318 torque convertor and flexplate.
I knew it wasn't right.
Thanks for your help

Yep, that'd be a balance problem all right.

ANY engine whether a SB mopar, 440, BB or SB chev must be balanced both at the front and rear. IE if neutral balance, so must be both the balancer and "whatever is back there", flywheel, converter, flex, etc.

And likewise weights must be present front and rear, depending on combo. Also bear in mind that things like changing stroke, rod weight or pistons 'by much' will change all this from "original"

Mission control we have a problem...the LA360 balancer is different than the 5.9 Magnum balancer. You need to run a 5.9 magnum balancer and flex plate with your Magnum. What you bolt to the front or back of those doesnt matter as long as converter is not LA360 with weight tab. There is about a 4-5 ounce difference between the balance tabs. I dont have an LA 360 balancer laying round for comparison pic but this aftermarket performance balancer is for all small block Mopars so if its a 318, 5.2 or early 340 you run it without a weight. If you have an externally balanced SBM you need to balance it correctly, one is 5.9 Magnum and the other is LA 360. Big difference.

balancer.jpg

Have to ask this.. If I swap a magnum engine to my Duster that I now have 340, what kind of converter do I need?? I have a rebuilt 904 and a TCI converter now.

Have to ask this.. If I swap a magnum engine to my Duster that I now have 340, what kind of converter do I need?? I have a rebuilt 904 and a TCI converter now.
340 converter will work just fine. One thing, you didn't state which magnum.... because the 318 mag and 360 mag are balanced differently. If you are talking 360 mag, you'll need the flexplate and balancer with it. I believe for the 318 mag, you can use the LA 318 flexplate and balancer

Yea, I kind of messed up on the wording in my reply and didn't notice it.
I knew the Magnum needed the Magnum balancer, but for some reason it sure didn't show.:D
The pulleys work with a little mod on the mag balancer.
Sorry about that.

-
Back