Still won't kick down into passing gear......

-

66CudaFormulaS

Reaction score
I have adjusted the throttle/kick down linkage, and both of the bands in the transmission to factory specs, but it still will not kick down. It is a LA904 in a 66 Barracuda. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rob.

Not sure what all you've checked, but if the kickdown linkage is adjusted to spec I'd start by making sure that the pedal is pulling the throttle all the way open. Stretched cables live to mess with ya. I like to use one of those wire bread ties to slide along the cable housing and show travel.

ALso check to see that the throttle valve itself is adjusted correctly. THis is on the valvebody, and needs a specific dimension to operte correctly.

You said you adjusted the throttle pressure lever but how did you do it? Does it go all the way back when you floor the throttle? It should. If that's not it I bet it's what Doctor X said. The throttle linkage isn't pulling the carb all the way wide open which in turn forces the throttle pressure linkage (kickdown as you call it) all the way back. First thing to do is get a helper to sit in the car and floor the throttle and see if the carb is going to wide open throttle.

-
Back