Stock 1972 Dart 318 timing

-

toddlaine

Reaction score
What should I set my initial timing to? I Just bought a timing light and this is my first try at this. Any info will help but keep it as basic as I need.
Thanks,

12* initial 'at idle' will get you around 35-36* total 'rev'd up'...
...always check though.
So start there...and if you end up with a lil ping under hard acceleration from a cruise...then back the total timing down 2* at a time.

do all of this with the vac advance plugged off.

then once u figure out how much it will take for total timing, hook the vac advance back up and see how it does.

Mine ran best between 10 and 12 BTDC. If you have the factory points distributor, make sure you set the points with a dwell meter before setting timing.

Plugged Vac line and set to 12 initial . When vac is hooked back up the engine sounds off. Is this right or should I set inital with vac line hooked up. The timing light instructions does not say to disconnect vac line for initial timing only for total timing. Please help.

That is just initial timing to get you close. You need to install a timing tape on your balancer so that you can see the total mechanical plus initial timing up to 40 degrees. They are a few bucks at mopar dealer in mopar perf catalogue. Install the tape on your balancer, then check again with the vacuum advance pluged and bring the idle up on your carb to 2000-2500. This will give you your total mechanical. If you adjust your timing now to around 32-34 degrees then you should be pretty close. Then bring your idle back down to where you want it. Should run fairly well at this point, then I would adjust the carb mixture and idle speed again. I would mark this timing spot on my cap and distributer for future reference. Then if the engine is still off you can advance or retard it a hair from your marks to fine tune your timing.

note on vaccum advance there sould not be vaccum to advance at idle.if at idle speed you re hook vaccum line and idle changes there something else wrong.

Plugged Vac line and set to 12 initial . When vac is hooked back up the engine sounds off. Is this right or should I set inital with vac line hooked up. The timing light instructions does not say to disconnect vac line for initial timing only for total timing. Please help.

The reason why they say to leave hooked up at setting initial...is because they assume u have the hose hooked to a ported vacuum on carb, in which there would be no vacuum signal until the rpms are up/throttle blades positioned right.
The vac advance will add 15* or more degrees ontop of the total/full advance.
im on my phone, so trying to cram

-
Back