Stock 318 fuel line hose size?

-

72Plymouth

Reaction score
I was changing the oil and was checking everything under the car. I noticed the two short rubber fuel line hoses from the tank to the two metal lines that go to the front of the car were bent and kinked pretty bad. So I put new ones on and it was tricky to not get them to kink again because of the angles they attach at. I attached a pic of the new ones.

Anyways, the previous ones that were on there were 3/8" hose so I replaced it with the same size. The metal fittings had a widened lip so they sealed good.

Now, I was changing out the front lines and filter. I put a new long 3/8" hose from the fuel pump to the new 3/8 filter, then I put a new short 3/8" hose from the filter to the metal carb line. The thing I noticed was that neither the metal carb line or the metal fuel pump output line had a widened lip.

So, the question is, are these two metal lines supposed to have a widened lip for the hose to seal on? Also, I noticed after I put it all on, the old rubber hose in the front said 5/16". What size is it really supposed to be since the back was 3/8"??

fuelline.jpg

I would say your stock lines are 5/16". Look up your fuel filter and you should be able to tel the size from that. You can also use a veneer caliper to measure the metal line to be sure.

Thanks for the help. I checked with a caliper and it was 5/16". I compared the two hoses and there is a decent difference so its probably best to switch them out to 5/16". Will be doing the work again now thanks to the last guy who mixed and matched!!

-
Back