Stock 318 with a new noise.

-
Got my '74 out for a little cruise in the country and heard a new noise. This happens under pretty much any acceleration, or even cruising under throttle. Belts are snug, the fan doesn't appear to be hitting anything, and fluids are topped. Seems to be coming from the front of the engine, but can't determine exactly where. Does anyone recognize the noise?

Couple things that could be... probably already said, like... the check plate at the transmission or 'inspection cover' as they call it. But I also like to say that sounds like a failed water pump bearing and the pulley dragging on the water pump body...which also kind of sounds like a torque converter that was put in dry and ...its burnt up..Power steering pump dry maybe..hmmm

Edit ..I should have read the replies. You found it or no?

Last edited:
Biggest issue is your running water only in radiator? The inside of your block radiator,and every part of your cooling system looks just like that pump.

From the last picture, the impeller isn't hitting the TC.
Yeah, the timing cover looks okay.

Biggest issue is your running water only in radiator? The inside of your block radiator,and every part of your cooling system looks just like that pump.
I've been running a 50/50 mix since doing a Prestone flush, replacing the thermostat, and having the radiator re-cored. Just before I picked it up from my buddy last year, he replaced the heater core.

Edited to add: Still have a couple of original hoses in the system, but won't after this.

Update: Got a new water pump from FlowKooler, installed it, bolted on the fan, put on the belt, started the car, and SKREEE! The noise is still there, in the same way as before. Took the belt off, no noise. So the only thing left is the bearing in the power steering pump. I'm not mad though, glad I replaced the water pump after seeing the inside of the old one. Also found a broken clamp on the original bypass hose. Probably saved myself from getting stuck on the side of the road for either of those.

The thing that's bugging me now is the A/C clutch. It's really stiff and difficult to turn. Trying to figure out if I've left something out. Even took it back apart and cleaned off the inside of the pulley housing and the outside of the coil.

Crazy question, the steering wheel doesn’t turn left or right all by itself does it?

If the shuttle valve on top of the power steering box is out of adjustment it will do that, it can also go hard one way and it will cook the belt. Went back and listened to it. Doesn’t sound like that at all. That really sounds like a bearing. Thermoclutch fan? Sorry late to the party.

If the shuttle valve on top of the power steering box is out of adjustment it will do that, it can also go hard one way and it will cook the belt. Went back and listened to it. Doesn’t sound like that at all. That really sounds like a bearing. Thermoclutch fan? Sorry late to the party.
Thanks for listening to it again. Straight fan on this one, no thermoclutch.

-
Back