Stock 5.2 Vs 318 with XE262

-

nitrohemi

Reaction score
I am currently running a stock 5.2 magnum in a D150. Headers, Carb, Port matched. Just finished building a 318 with XE262 Cam. Stock 89 short block, port matched. Do you guys think the 318 with the XE262 cam will make more noticeable power compared to the stock 5.2?

I thought the 89 318 was a roller block did you use a flat tapper cam over the roller for some reason? I think it will be some what a wash. Unless you added better pistons. Also, you’re talking about a truck so where do want the usable power down low right so the stock magnum probably wins in that regard. The magnum heads are better in stock form and have the 1.6 ratio. Any performance gained by the xe262 wouldn’t net much more than the better flowing magnum heads. I would love to see both motors tested and see what the results are.

Probably so, until it wipes lobes and lifters from crappy Comp Cams metallurgy. Good luck!

I thought the 89 318 was a roller block did you use a flat tapper cam over the roller for some reason? I think it will be some what a wash. Unless you added better pistons. Also, you’re talking about a truck so where do want the usable power down low right so the stock magnum probably wins in that regard. The magnum heads are better in stock form and have the 1.6 ratio. Any performance gained by the xe262 wouldn’t net much more than the better flowing magnum heads. I would love to see both motors tested and see what the results are.
That was my thinking also.

If the XE has more duration & a tighter LSA than the factory cam, then it will have more overlap. If this is the case, then I would expect a noticeable, but not huge, power increase.

I'd think they would make similar power, just regrind the the 5.2l magnum cam.

No they won't. The magnum has way better heads. It'll do better everywhere.

Magnum has better heads and the 318 has a better cam

5.9l dynos about 300hp with 4bbl and headers 5.2l can't be too far off and here's a similar 318 with xe262h making 282hp
318 Long Block Bolt Ons - Tech Articles - Mopar Muscle Magazine

HORSEPOWER SUPERFLOW 901 DYNO-TESTED AT WESTECH
RPMBASEMOD 1MOD 2

I get what you're saying. I agree.

I just think swapping a magnum 5.2 for a basically stock 318 with a cam is an exercise in futility, or even a step backward. At best you'll have a 318 with weaker low end torque and possibly matching high rpm power.

The area under the curve probably still favors the magnum. Throw an aftermarket hydraulic roller for the magnum in the mix and it's game over 318.

I'd definitely keep the 5.2l magnum in truck, maybe regrind the cam keeping mild specs lf looking for more hp.

You guys keep saying magnum. That ain't what he has. He said 89 block. That was roller but still LA. I've seen roller blocks from the factory that still were flat tappet also from factory.
I've had 3 of em. An 85 diplomat, 86 van (that one was dad's) and 87 van.

You guys keep saying magnum. That ain't what he has. He said 89 block. That was roller but still LA. I've seen roller blocks from the factory that still were flat tappet also from factory.
I've had 3 of em. An 85 diplomat, 86 van (that one was dad's) and 87 van.

Dude, literally the first sentence from the OP...

"I am currently running a stock 5.2 magnum in a D150."

Pass that bottle of bourbon my way :poke:

-
Back