Stock 6.1 . Engine Dyno

-

mo-cars

Reaction score
This was quite useful to me , so I thought I would share it . It's a stock 6.1 with 1 7/8 " headers , EFI Source megasquirt Gold Box and and WOT timing set at 23 degrees.
A while back I requested this from Mike at EFI Source , to help me fill out my convertor spec sheet . I posted it with his permission . I also thought that I should mention that ( in his words ) " 23 degrees of timing is on the ragged edge " .
I decided to pull mine back to 20 , because I can't always be sure of the quality of fuel in the tank .
Enjoy.

Attachments

• stock 6.1 on ray bartons dyno.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 568
try again .

Attachments

• stock 6.1 on ray bartons dyno.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 567
Pretty awesome numbers. I tried 22 with mine and it didn't seem to matter so it went back 23. Its not there until about 3K though.

Thanks for the post 475 HP with a set of headers impressive. When you say stock, were they also using a stock intake manifold with a cable operated 80mm throttle body?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Yes stock manifold and cable 80 mm TB .

Just remember that this is a Gross HP figure , like they used in the old days . the Factory 425 HP is net HP , so it's done with complete exhaust and front accessories . Not an apples to apples comparison , but still useful.

I think the total timing thing depends VERY much on two things...

- Induction ( Carb or EFI), and

- Camshaft - remembering after market sticks that are used with factory slugs are very retarded = slow cylinder filling = slower burn = can handle more advance

what was timing again? And what octane numbers of fuel?

I currently use 102 octane with 25° timing. just read that too much octane slows you down but less octane also requires lower timing, right?

I think 470 crank hp is quite believable - considering the 1&7/8 headers and custom contoller and propfessional tune - esoecially as you say ..its a gross figure.

It makes me feel pretty good - my carb motor with shorty header and home timing curve is making similar hp - Net.

....but of course I have a mild cam installed 8 deg retarded!

Tells me Im not that far off the mark.

That is pretty much what I want to see at my tires. Need to take mine to the strip and see what it MPH'rs. If im in the 130's GREAT, if im in the 120's, sad face. I don't even know what my pile weighs anymore....

Buschi . The engine on the Above Engine Dyno had 23 degress timing and used 93 MON fuel .

The USA uses the MON rating , other countries including Australia and Europe use the RON rating . Look up octane rating on Wikipedia for more info .

I think ? you will be Ok with 25deg timing and 102 RON fuel . Just keep in mind that even with the best fuel , there is a point where adding more timing has no benifit . MBT (minimum best timing) is what you should be aiming for .

Yeah keep us posted on the times Guys . Maybe there should be a sticky for gen3 1/4 times .

-
Back