Stock '64 Dart \6 4-Door Ride Height as Measured from the Floor?

-

MDchanic

Connoisseur d'Junque
Reaction score
[I don't know whether this site is averse to "cross-posting," but I did post the same question in another forum, so if that's a problem, feel free to delete]

Does anyone out there with a properly set up stock \6 '64 Dart have riding height measurements made "the old-fashioned way," like GM ::eek:: does 'em, from the flat bottom of the rocker, next to the pinch weld, a few inches behind the front / ahead of the rear wheel openings?

I reviewed the Service Manual's instructions, which are essentially a side-to-side differential measurement, but they won't answer my question, which is:
Is the rear of my car just a little tiny bit (like 1/2") low?

I ask because I don't enjoy driving with the butt low - it makes it harder to see forward and makes the steering too light and prone to understeer, and I'm just not sure whether my rear springs have sagged significantly in 60 years (or whether they've just sagged insignificantly).

Here are my measurements, on the very smooth, level concrete surface of my shop, unloaded, with a very empty gas tank, riding on B78/13 bias-ply tires inflated to 24psi:
LF: 8-1/8".... RF: 8-1/8"
LR: 9".......... RR: 8-1/2"

And here is a photo of my car from the side. The surface it's on begins to slant uphill slightly at the front:

IMG_7846.jpg

Thanks,

– Eric

If you set the ride height by the TSM (Technical Service Manual) and your torsion bars are in good condition, your rear springs might be a bit weak after nearly 60 years

CONCLUSION:

I answered my own question.

In the 1964 Valiant AMA Specifications, page 24, are listed height from floor to bottoms of rockers and floot to bottoms of rear edges of doors.

It's not for the Dart, but the Dart can't be very much different.

Specifications (with 300# Front Seat, 450# Rear Seat, Full Gas Tank) are:
  • Front Rocker to Ground 7.4"
  • Rear Rocker to Ground 7.0"
  • Front Door to Ground 11.7"
  • Rear Door to Ground 11.6"
My car (empty) measures:
  • Front Rocker to Ground 8.125"
  • Rear Rocker to Ground 9"L 8.5"R
  • Front Door to Ground 12.5"L 12.125"R
  • Rear Door to Ground 13"L 12.375"R
So, if I get a chance to load up my car, I can tell for sure, but odds are it's a bit low, but not so severely low that I need to address it immediately.

– Eric

-
Back