Stock 8 3/4 axle shafts - max HP limit?

-

tom340

Reaction score
What would be the edge limit for HP/TQ using the stock axles in the 8 3/4" rear?

Currently I have a 489 case (West Coast Diff.) with only @ 3500 miles on it if memory serves me right it has the 1 7/8 pinion which they highly recommended. SS springs, otherwise the housing is the original unit drum to drum.

My Duster is a street driven car/occasional track under 370 rwhp on street tires. assuming my setup is more than adequate.

I have been offered to use a friends M/T mounted street slicks but I've been hesitant thinking about breaking an axle with the additional traction.

Planning on finally getting the heads ported and a roller cam this winter which should get me into the 480-490 crank HP range, and I'm sure still under 400 rwhp due to parasitic loss (trans)

Stock 8 3/4 axles an issue here?? Or no concerns

THX ~ Tom

No concerns. The lug studs will give first.

THX.. I would take that as good news. The guy who offered me a pair of street slicks is running high 10's with his 416 stroker in his own Duster. 8 3/4 rear, 489 case but steeper gear ratio @ 4.56:1 or 4.88:1 I think sbp too

is he using stock 7/16 studs?

That I'm not sure about. I mostly just see them at local shows and events but next time I do I'll inquire.

I'm assuming I can upgrade my own and still be able to use my rallye wheels if need be

is he using stock 7/16 studs?

LOL, just found out last night he actually broke his housing unit at the dragstrip about a year ago with one of their Dusters.

Goes to show I guess, some guys running 10 and 11 sec cars for years without breaking an axle or studs. This guy trailers his car 90 miles to LVD and blows up a "bullet proof" rear.

I would guess 450 ish HP and that is out of the motor, not to the rear wheels. 7/16 wheel studs are a weak link for sure.

ive got about 600 plus in my 505 stroker and im using resplined axles from Moser with 456 and no long studs( 1/2) havent broke it yet and im not real easy on it EVER.....

-
Back