Stock Bucket vs Bench Seats w/ 8pt Roll Bar

-

mejackg

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Hey guys, Ive been working on my 72 street/strip duster and I was looking for some opinions on seats. I want the car to be able to get into the 10s in the 1/4mile and I know with current NHRA rules you are required to have at least a 5 point roll bar in your car with the seats braced and a harness. I'm gonna install an 8 point for rigidity. Now what has got me in a pickle was what seats to go with that. I have a full interior to the car that will need restoring. I have a set of buckets already that need to be reupholstered along with a really nice rear bench. I will have the removable side braces and will pad every inch of the bars. I want this car to be as comfortable as possible for trips and what not, and the occasional times when me and the lady feel frisky. 8)

My question(s) for you guys are:
1: Stock Front Buckets or Split Deluxe Bench Seat w/ Armrest?
2: Keep the back seat for looks or remove and carpet around the tubs and seat brace/wall?

Sorry If this has been asked before, but I haven't seen any threads with this exact layout. If you know of any I'd be glad to see them. Any and all opinions are welcome, I want to cover a lot of possibilities. Thanks.

I haven't dealt with roll bars myself, but I can tell you that the split bench seat is heavy and bulky -- I'm guessing it would make it hard to work the cage around it, and it would make access to the back seat very difficult. The buckets have longer track travel, and the backs flip forward farther. The backs are also narrower at the shoulder, and thinner. I even suspect you may want to go with a more modern aftermarket racing bucket, for less weight and more room. IMHO, FWIW...

Certainly no better way to stiffen the structure than add subframe connectors and an 8 point or cage.
But, unless you wanna drive around with a helmet on all the time... It's not such a good idea on the street. Actually had a local guy die from head injuries from his roll bar, in an accident on the street.
(Otherwise, I'd say buckets and no backseat for a bigger "playroom":cheers:)

-
Back