Stock Intake Question

-

Kernel Sanders

eating chicken wings and drinking beer
Reaction score
Hi

I want to clean up this stock intake and have questions about the rivetted cover on the underside.

Can I remove it?
Should I remove it?
If I remove it how should I put it back?
Should I bother putting it back?
What was it meant to do? (I'm guessing to help prevent oil from heavily carboning to the heated cross over under the plenum but thats a guess)

Thank you

Attachments

• Intake.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 176
I always take them off and run the Milodon intake valley baffle. If you remove that one, you will see how chinsy it's held on. Most of the time you can yank out those rivets with regular pliers, although there has been the rare occasion where I had to use vise grips.

Hi

I want to clean up this stock intake and have questions about the rivetted cover on the underside.

Can I remove it?
Should I remove it?
If I remove it how should I put it back?
Should I bother putting it back?
What was it meant to do? (I'm guessing to help prevent oil from heavily carboning to the heated cross over under the plenum but thats a guess)

Thank you

I don't take them off. They are held on by left hand drive rivets. A Real pain. They either fall out, twist the head off, or if you are lucky just turn out when you tighten them. If I bead blast an intake I clean it up, Duct tape around the cover and clean it up again after blasting.

Well before reading your reply 66, I had taken it off...

But...

I'm very happy I did because I found it full of glass blasting beads! Whew! I wouldnt have wanted them all inside the engine!

I did find the Valley pan baffle you mentioned SS and they are relatively cheap so I'll be looking to order one of them and not bother replacing the cover on this intake. Thank you!

I use those valley tray's, I think it should help keep more oil on the cam which is good. Keeps the lifters in the bore if a rocker arm breaks. Why Mopar factory didn't used them?

I rebuilt a guys 273 for a Chris-Craft boat a few years ago. I sandblasted cleaned, then drilled and tapped it to 1/4-20 I think. Blue loctite'ed the bolts in.

-
Back