Stock rear AXLE strength?

-

Eric_S68

Reaction score
Ouickie question .. How much HP/Torque can a stock 8 3/4" axle take? Thinking of going Yukon/Strange/Moser with out the green bearings. What's the best axle for the value? The Yukon's?

I used the Yukon's without any problemas for HP?Torque with an 83/4 axle, I used to run one behind a stroked Hemi and never had a failure, in factt I have never heard of anyone blowing an 83/4 axle from overpowering ...maybe someone else has.

Well I have a set of stock axles, just wondering if it was worth the upgrade/expense to a set of Yukon's or such. I'm thinking the car may see 550HP on Nitrous.

My 8-3/4 has lasted many-many mid 12 second runs in my old 3900 lb roadrunner with a 4speed and a stout automatic. I think the trouble begins with a grabby clutch or a trans brake auto.

Then I'd recommend the yukons with the green bearings and then put the pedal to the metal. Half way thru a nitous shot isn't the time to find out your old axles were fatigued ...LOL

where's the best/cheapest place to get a set of custom length yukons? Are any other brands cheaper or are they all about the same?

stock for a 68 cuda with 83/4 axle but they are pretty reasonable with any dimension from what I've seen

Yukons only come in the stock width and you can only use green bearings with them. They are not long enough to reach the buttons in the suregrip for adjusting with stock bearings. If you want a custom width you will have to use Stange, Moser, Mark Williams etc.
I am using the stock (mopar) axles in my Valiant, it runs low 11's at 122 with no problems so for. It is only a foot brake car though. I will some day upgrade to aftermarket axles but right now don't see any advantage to it. Per NHRA I will have to go to aftermarket axles once I hit 10.99 so I am close right now.
My car weighs 3200lbs so that translates to about 450hp at the rear tires.

-
Back