Stock Shroud Material? ABS?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Do you folks know what material a stock 67 fan shroud is made of? Is it ABS, or something different? Thanks!

I'll guess a type of cross linked polyethylene. Early attempt because they will crack when old and brittle. Newer stuff is tuff.

Thank you! The reason I ask is I'm trying to repair a 3/16" hole and am trying to figure out the best method to do so. Any ideas?

Hello. Not to 'hi-jack' this topic but I just need to confirm 'orientation' of 22-inch shroud. It was not on car and radiator out so would like to know top from bottom. I notice the six protrusions on one of the curved ends and suspect this is the top. thanks.

I doubt this material is 'garden-variety' ABS due to several clues. One reason would be the presence of heat and another would be the basic structure. My shroud is cracked (I suspect at the top - where the curve ends to the left side of vehicle - near where upper-left mounting area - closest to battery location. Sorry no pic. I hope to mend this damage if and when I know the material structure. Hopefully someone with experience can offer some ideas (these are $250. shrouds and not likely to drop in price any time soon.)

Go to autobodytoolmart.com. They sell all the adhesives that work with the automotive plastics. Call them and tell them what you're working with and they'll recommend an adhesive to use.
Dan

duramix requests u test if it sinks or floats in water...take a little chunk and throw it in a cup of water...sinkers use one type of repair and floaters another

-
Back