stock sm blk flex plate

-
At what point is it wise to replace the stock flex plate?
That's kind of a loaded question. Are you talking about the amount of horsepower/torque it's capable of taking (used behind a hemi from the factory), age of it, drag racing requirements or? On the Challenger I once owned, I had it replaced when I had the transmission taken out to be resealed. The car only had 32000 original miles on it when I bought it, but the car had been sitting in a garage for over 20 years, and the transmission leaked from everywhere. The only reason I replaced the flex plate was my concern about possible metal fatigue from old age ( Yeah I know, a bit paranoid), but once the transmission was I thought why not. In my mind at the time cheap insurance.

Yes..just wondering how strong a stock piece is that is in good condition.
My new project won't be high hp.

New flex plates are not that expensive, to me it's worth the peace of mind, high HP or not. Do you really want to trust 40+ year old flex plates versus a new one for a few buck more?

You need to keep it as Factory original as possible. Or the car becomes a restro mod car. Price of car drops 50%

All good points.Stock flex plates are mild steel and i've never heard of
one failing on a stock or warm small block?
I prefer to use stock parts if they are in good condition because the factory
usually got it right.

Yes..just wondering how strong a stock piece is that is in good condition.
My new project won't be high hp.

I destroyed a stock flexplate with a stock 340. If you are going to have the engine/tranny apart anyway, maybe consider putting a B & M flexplate in there.

-
Back