Stock wheel color

-

Boots83

Reaction score
I have a 1966 valiant white with turquoise interior.

I've noticed that the back of some of my rims (my rims are black) shows a hint of turquoise. ..leading me to believe that originally the cars rims matched the interior.

This is a survivor and a daily driver rat and I would love to take the rims back to their original color (not respray)..does anyone know a good.method to strip away the black (most likely spray paint) without harming the factory color underneath?

I have a 1966 valiant white with turquoise interior.

..does anyone know a good.method to strip away the black (most likely spray paint) without harming the factory color underneath?

Depending on what it was re sprayed with, you could try oven cleaner. Other that that, I don't think you could do it without damaging the paint underneath

Every 66 I have seen with hub caps and 13" wheels had the rims painted to match the body color :glasses7:

Got any pics of your car?

So I woke up early to do outside work since it is a wonderful 70 degree morning here in central florida.

I took some oven cleaner to the rims front and did a scratch test after that...pure black down to the.metal.

So I get under the car and take oven cleaner to the backs...all of the rims back had a now greenish (probly years ago turquoise) back.as my member photo shoes the car is white and build numbers/Vin show it as a white car with turquoise interior.

My only guess is that sometime early in its life the rims were sprayed to match the interior, then in the 1980's when it was partially re sprayed they stripped the front and shot them black.

Attachments

• 1424617128989-673638689.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 110
I've seen that greenish color on the backs of steel wheels on other older mopars. Could it the wheel manufacturer sprayed them that color as a prep and then only the front side got painted black or body color?

-
Back