Storing a vehicle outside, best prep?

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Challenger that I have owned for years.
I bought it for daily driving, but also bought the nicest car I could afford back then. It was a DD for 5-7 years.
It is a /6 Deputy car, that is currently 440/727/8.75 with 3.23 gears.

It is a solid overall car, with good floors, doors, and fenders. It needs some rust repair in rear quarters, and around the windows. It currently is in a mutiple shade of rattle can primer.

Reality says, with current work schedule, that getting an substantial amount of time with this car is unlikely.

I am stripping it down to bare metal, and going to spray it with a 2 part catalyzed primer, that should not absorb water. It is going to be stored under a rear deck, that will have a "roof" that directs water that falls through the wood of the deck around the car, so it is not directly getting wet. It will be stored on stands.

Should I spend $$ on a car cover, or will the car be better off with no cover, so any moisture that does get on the surface air dries faster.

What else would you recommend for best long term storage?
Fuel system is N/A right now, it has a fuel cell (never any gas) that is not plumbed. Store it with no antifreeze? Location is KC, weather is humid in summer, mild winter, minimal snow (normally) and seldom see less then 0 degrees. Moth balls?

I have the same problem, too many cars, not enough storage

I don't know what the humidity is in your area, it's crazy high where I am so one of the biggest problems is the interior gets really damp in the winter and mould becomes an issue. The car covers I have aren't water proof and a tarp is brutal, the paint will sweat and start bubbling. Check the interior from time to time and if needed put a little space heater in there for the day from time to time to dry it out.

I assume you are referring to epoxy primer, it's what you need over bare metal anyway and it is the only primer I know that doesn't absorb water and has zinc in it as a rust inhibitor.

I put dryer fleece sheets(Bounce)underhood and inside the car,up underdash anywhere there,s wiring.It keeps the mice from having a meal,I can,t stand the smell of te mothballs.Try them out!:cheers:

If nothing else, lay down a plastic tarp on the ground to keep the bottom of the car dry. Moisture evaporates out of the ground and rises up, hits the bootom of the car and condenses and will not evaporate.

The better way is to store it in a tent with a floor.

Up here in the Northwest, I have always had pretty good luck keeping moisture out of the interior with a home-made chicken coop heater. Basically a 100-300 watt bulb in an upside-down metal 5 gal bucket (lacquer thinner can works great). put an x made of 2x4 chunks in the bottom and screw cheap light bulb socket onto it.

I have done this in cars as well as my boats.

chicken coop heater (1).JPG

chicken coop heater (2).JPG

chicken coop heater (3).JPG

chicken coop heater.JPG

Thanks for the input guys.
Humidity gets pretty high in summer.
Perhaps a small fan, set on a timer, to move the air around a couple hours a day?
The deck has 2 ports under it, the Challenger will go to the port closer to the house.
The port under the deck will have 1/3 of car completely covered. The other is 90% covered, with spaces between the wood for water to get through. My plan ia to run a large board from house, over to side of the port, to direct any water that gets through the deck away from the house, and drop water away from car, so I do not anticipate any direct moisture.

You could always go the shelter route.This one cost $300 and withstood it,s first Canadian winter no problem.Just a thought.:cheers:
POPUP GARAGE 011.jpg

POPUP GARAGE 011.jpg

You could always go the shelter route.This one cost $300 and withstood it,s first Canadian winter no problem.Just a thought.:cheers:
View attachment 141617

I would love to go that route, but the city that we are in is a bit snooty, I am not sure how well that would go over in the back yard. The only reason I get away with the cars under the deck, is the lattice that hides them for the most part. I still intend to build something like this over the car, to keep the direct rain off it.
Where did you get that shelter?

-
Back