storing fresh block

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
my 440 block and rotating assembly will be back from the machine shop in about a week. I'm still saving for heads and due to an unexpected massive expense, that's gonna take another 6 to 8 months so any suggestions to help store this block? the bottom end is assembled with new bearings. I plan on putting the oil pan on fill it with oil and painting the outside of the block. I'm thinking I'll put on the old junk heads I have laying around and maybe coat the cylinders with a quality motor oil. Other than that, what else should i do?

I would do what you already plan on but also put it in plastic and put a desiccant pack in it also to help absorb the water. I just started using shrink wrap (the stuff you put on windows in the winter) Works great and shrinks with a hair dryer. Hope it helps.

Do what I am in the process of doing now. I just got done prepping and painting my 400 Ford block. It will also be a while before I am able to assemble it. I took paper towels soaked with motor oil and wiped the decks and cylinders down, sacked it up in two big lawn bags. Now I am clearing a space for it in our spare room. In the house in climate control is the best possible place. If your excuse is "I don't have room" then make room.

Do what I am in the process of doing now. I just got done prepping and painting my 400 Ford block. It will also be a while before I am able to assemble it. I took paper towels soaked with motor oil and wiped the decks and cylinders down, sacked it up in two big lawn bags. Now I am clearing a space for it in our spare room. In the house in climate control is the best possible place. If your excuse is "I don't have room" then make room.

Oh I have room...But I don't feel like lugging a 450 lb block up 2 flights of stairs......

-
Back