Storing Race car for winter

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
I would like to avoid draining the radiator and block this year. As I see it I have 2 options:
1. Run an electric heater in the trailer.
2. put the car in the garage under the lift.

Heater: I have electric to the trailer and a small heater with a thermostat on it so it won't be running 24/7. I'm a little nervous about possible fire hazard.
Lift: Can only do this if I park something else underneath it. It's a 2 post lift that only goes up 6'2". I could take the wheels off, that might give enough clearance. It has been suggested though not to leave the suspension unsprung for long periods of time, has anyone else heard of this?

Drain the radiator and block: pain in the ***, but at least I could leave it in the trailer. Options are: try to remove all water or replace water with antifreeze.

Here in Wisconsin we store our cars with antifreeze in them. We just make sure the antifreeze tests to at least -30F below. You should be fine in Texas with a 50/50 mix

In Pennsylvania when during the winter months I would just drain the radiator and fill back up with antifreeze. I let the electric water pump run while filling up and a little time afterwards to help circulate and mix the water and antifreeze. I would test the strength of the antifreeze than with one of those handheld testers. As long as it was like -10 or -20 or so I was good. Car was stored in a enclosed trailer and I never had an issue doing that for many years.

Sounds like the easiest thing to do is just drain the radiator and add antifreeze, run the water pump to mix it. Then replace with water next season.
I should have mentioned that off-season is very short here, maybe 2 months. A gallon of antifreeze ought to do it.

Is leaving a engine on a stand wrapped in a few blankets okay meaning no coolant in it ?
It can get down to 10 f around my place?

Option 3. Pour antifreeze in it and drive that beeotch on the street. lol

So, since you live in Texas, if you are using an electric heater, what's the plan if the electricity go out for an extended period of time, like it did in 21?

It never gets cold enough here to worry about things like freezing, but I always store the car with an antifreeze mix just to keep corrosion down. Even if it’s like a couple weeks between events.

So, since you live in Texas, if you are using an electric heater, what's the plan if the electricity go out for an extended period of time, like it did in 21?
Turn on the generator in the trailer and run the heater, but the simple solution is the best in this case. Antifreeze.

Supposed to get down close to freezing tomorrow night so I drained the radiator with a hand siphon pump and refilled with antifreeze and ran the water pump for a few minutes. Now good to -10, I've never seen it get below +20 around here in the winter so I should be good. Winter projects included replacing old stock leaf springs with Calvert split mono leafs, which I did last weekend, and fabbing a new windshield and installing it. I still need to get a sheet of polycarbonate and get that done, but I'm going to wait and see if there will be 1 more weekend of decent weather to take it to the track and dial in the new springs. Exhaust pipes are about 18" past the collectors and point straight to the back. I have a couple of turndowns and I was thinking of putting them on pointing sideways, the exhaust is making quite a mess under the car.

-
Back