Straight Six Help

-

jimmys_64_dart

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic and it keeps blowing crank sensors and I can't figure out what the underlining issue is. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

been awhile but is that a 5v reference sensor?? if so make sure its not getting to much voltage

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic and it keeps blowing crank sensors and I can't figure out what the underlining issue is. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

I want to add more on the issue. I had no issues till I was using the AC one day then it over heated out of no where and shut down on me on the highway. I waited a while till it cooled down tried to turn it over and it fired right up then the check engine light came on saying it was the camshaft positioning sensor or the crankshaft positioning sensor, since the engine only has the one that was a quick narrow down of the 2 sensors. I switched out the bad sensor and it ran fine for a week then the same issue happened just minus the over heating it just died. Same story waited for it to cool down check engine light came on and same error code. I went to autozone swapped out sensors again and a week later here I am again with the same issue. I hooked my volt meter to pin B and pin C set to 20K OHMS and it tested bad again. The voltage on the female connectors side is 5v which is right where it should be. I can't complain to much since I have over 300,000 miles on the same engine and this is the first issue it has had other than a bad alternator a few years back other than that it is all factory original.

Try buying the Jeep sensors from a dealer. My Neon kills an O'reilly's crank sensor every February, and every August, like clockwork. The aftermarket cheaps out on the winding wire, and they break internally from the magnetic forces.

I only use factory cam sensors, too. On the same Neon, they develop an internal leak and the oil pressure pushes the aftermarket sensor guts out. The factory sensor is designed in such a way that this impossible.

These are both failures that I see over and over on many cars.

I'm getting to the point where I don't buy anything from the aftermarket unless I can find a Carquest somewhere (they're not common around here).

Try buying the Jeep sensors from a dealer. My Neon kills an O'reilly's crank sensor every February, and every August, like clockwork. The aftermarket cheaps out on the winding wire, and they break internally from the magnetic forces.

I only use factory cam sensors, too. On the same Neon, they develop an internal leak and the oil pressure pushes the aftermarket sensor guts out. The factory sensor is designed in such a way that this impossible.

These are both failures that I see over and over on many cars.

I'm getting to the point where I don't buy anything from the aftermarket unless I can find a Carquest somewhere (they're not common around here).

That is good advice! I will try that instead of putting this other one on from autozone I will just head to the dealership. come to think of it I had the same issue with the cam sensor on my 96 neon. I miss my neon so much.

Oh by the way I figured it out. I looked up the wiring diagram and noticed that the distributors pick up coil is linked to the crank sensors wiring. I checked the pick up coil and sure as hell there was all three wires exposed. Switched it out and drives like a dream.

-
Back