Strange noise from under the hood

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
So I have been hearing this strange noise from under the hood when I turn the key to the on position. Didn't pay much attention to it at first because it was not that loud. Kind of like a tick... tick... noise. But the noise has got louder and I drove my car today and when I got back home I decided I would investigate and find out where it was coming from. I turned on the key switch and got out and popped the hood open. Well i found it, it was the wiper motor. Motor was hot to the touch so I unplugged the electrical leads to it. Wiper switch inside the car has been in the "off" position.My wipers have not worked for a couple years now as it seems as though the pivots are frozen up. I have replaced the motor and the plastic bushings under the dash that hold the arms to the motor and still very slow to no wiper action. I guess now I need to take it all apart and replace every part under there to properly repair it. Mopar Gremlins at work again!!! :snakeman:

eh, time to test each part independently. I had the same slow wiper operation when I dug my duster out of the PO's back yard, the wiper pivots were VERY hard to turn even on the bench. after a couple of days sitting in a bucket of oil ( taking them out and turning them every so often ) they are nice and smooth. I installed the grease fitting and pumped them full.
I also was able to take the wiper motor apart and clean the armature, brushes and grease the gearing... fun times. If you do decide to take apart the motor, be careful of the long aluminum case screws, I broke one and had to scavenge parts to make one good motor.

Sounds like what I had going on with mine only it was the switch clicking because of a wire shorted on the wiper motor.

-
Back