Strange noise

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i posted on this before, just cant figure it out. 71 scamp 225/904

I have this strange noise coming from somewhere.

It is a sound that kind of sounds like something is hitting a fan, (a clicka clicka noise)

I looked and loosened up the fan belts and started the engine, it still made the sound.

I got under it with the engine running in drive, and it seems to be coming from the bell housing, but when i stick my head under the front of the car it sounds like it is coming from the front also.

It doesnt do it in park, just in gear, I have not noticed any drivability problems though, the car shifts and runs fine.

when idleing it is more prevelent, but when cruising down the road it seems to go away, at least i can not really hear it then.

Anyone have any ideas before i rip the transmission out?

I have that same noise, only at idle, also have a 904 but with 318, maybe the trans? Let me know what you find out.
Bruce

check the converter bolts. get a stethoscope, put it to the oil pan and bellhousing. try to narrow down where the source is.

I checked the converter bolts before, they were all tight. Checked for anything that may have made it past the inspection cover, nothing there.

Thought it may be the speedo cable some how making noise, removed it from the speedo, and pulled it forward a bit, nothing, no radiated sound or vibration comeing from it either.

Strange

I'm wondering if we don't have a cracked or broken flexplate. I had a similar noise years ago and that was it.
Bruce

-
Back