Strange request. Chevy/Ford related

-

69Valiant360

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this.

Anyway, a friend of mine has to clear out his brothers shop. It is loaded with mostly Chevy engines plus, blocks, heads, intakes, cranks, pistons/rods, as well as a few Ford engines plus, blocks, heads, Intakes, cranks, pistons/rods. There may even be some other odd ball things here and there like Buick, Olds ect.

Chevy and Ford stuff is totally foreign to me. I was wondering if anybody here may know of some good sites that may have info on casting numbers, stamping numbers and such for Chevy and Ford stuff listed above. Maybe something I could print out so I can go through all of this and know what it is to help him out. It all either needs to be sold or scrapped. Just trying to help him out here.

This shop also has a ton of tools. Air tools, drill sets, welding, engine pullers, stands, jacks ect. that I have my eyes on. Something that with my help identifying some of these parts, we will be able to work a deal on.

The only Mopar things I have found was a starter and an A-body console that he said I can have. Sadly I was too late for the 318/904, 340/727, and the 383/727 he had before his brother skipped town and left him to deal with the rest. Figures all the Mopar stuff was taken.

So anyway, if anybody can point me to any websites to help me identify Chevy and Ford engine #'s I'd appreciate it.

On Chevy casting numbers, I usually just google: Chevy, casting, XXXXXXX.

The casting number is on the back of the block. Now, if it turns up as one that may be for a performance car, you need to get the letter codes off the pass side stamping pad. That will narrow it down plus maybe bring a premium.

Some of the block casting numbers cover too many types, so then you need to work with the stamped code also. MOTORS & CHILTON manuals used to have the letter codes back in the muscle car era, or google Chevy, suffix codes?

I believe 69 & older would have 2 letter suffix, and 70 & newer has 3 letters.

On the blocks the best thing to do is use the stamped code because the blocks can have multiple applications as stated. For example I just purchased a block from a guy that said it was a 302 block because of the casting number, it did have the same casting number as a 302. But after checking the stamping code it turned out to be a '65 300hp 327, 302's and 327's have the same bore size that is why they use the same blocks.

On another note, I am in need of a set of SBC heads with the last three casting numbers of 461, 462 or 041. I am also looking for a small journal 3.25" crank. Send response to my email, Thanks.

Chuck
[email protected]

Thanks for the info guys. There is a ton of stuff to go through in this shop.

redfastback: thanks for the website.

Chuck: I'll let you know what I find. I will probably be going there Monday or Tuesday to begin sorting through it.

I'll get some pics as well for you all to see what all is in there.

Any more info is still welcomed.

hey i see you are from roseburg i am i sutherlin as far as numbers go redfastback gave you the best site i know of if you need more info you might want to try carquest in sutherlin i think they might be able to give you some more info they do a lot of racing stuff and mostly chevy stuff so they might be able to help. Carquest is right off central next to abbys i think you probably know where it is cause i recognize your car it sat right behind carquest for a couple of weeks around blackberry time didnt it. Anyway good luck

hey i see you are from roseburg i am i sutherlin as far as numbers go redfastback gave you the best site i know of if you need more info you might want to try carquest in sutherlin i think they might be able to give you some more info they do a lot of racing stuff and mostly chevy stuff so they might be able to help. Carquest is right off central next to abbys i think you probably know where it is cause i recognize your car it sat right behind carquest for a couple of weeks around blackberry time didnt it. Anyway good luck

Yup, that is my car. That is my sisters house. I will be there tomorrow with out the Valiant. If you're not doing any thing around 5-6 pm, swing by. I'd love to meet ya and talk Mopar. Oh, I did cruise that car in the Blackberry cruise. :)

I have actually lived out in Sutherlin for the past 8-9 years and just recently moved back to Roseburg. Do you live on Central just before...or after leaving Sutherlin heading out towards the end of town? Also, do you by chance have a '73-'74 Dart that parks out by the Burger King? And maybe a '69 Valiant 4 door?

I may be wrong here.

Thanks for the tip btw.

Edit: after looking at your avatar, I am probably way wrong lol.

A super late Edit because I don't sleep: I may have that year of Dart wrong. It may be a '72. But I know it's gold, jacked up a bit in the back with slotted mags that I've seen out front of the Burger King/gas station.

Also, there is a gold '69 Valiant 4 door that I have seen around Sutherlin weeks before I moved to Roseburg.

That 72 dart is my wifes the 67 four door is a buddy of mines. And yes if you are leaving sutherlin towards non pariel that would be me. Sorry i didnt get your message till just now. I have the other 72 without the hoodscoop and the 75 duster. My dad has a 68 dart my mom has a 68 dart and a 74 dart four door. My sister has a 74 valiant four door and we just picked up a 68 four door valiant by the way let me know when you will be around next time and we can meet up Talk to you later Justin

-
Back