Strange rubbing noise

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
I have an A833 Hemi 4-speed 18 spline a-body transmission. I am running aMcCleod clutch and pressure plate. I recently pulled the 340 to do some work on the lifter valley. I put the motor back in the car and now it makes a really horrible rubbing sound when I engage the throwout bearing against the pressure plate when the car is running. Definitely a rotating noise as the engine is running and clutch is engaged. I would be happy to supply a video, but need some advice on where to upload it here. Thank you! Also, the bearing, clutch, and pressure plate have about 300 miles on them. They were all new upon installation.

New or not, based on description of when it occurs, only with clutch depressed, it sounds like it's throwout bearing related.

Are you certain the t/o bearing spring clips are engaged with the ears on the end of the clutch fork? I've had them pop off when installing the trans. That'd make for bad noises when engaging the clutch.

Are you certain the t/o bearing spring clips are engaged with the ears on the end of the clutch fork? I've had them pop off when installing the trans. That'd make for bad noises when engaging the clutch.
I will check to see. Thanks.

This is a possibility because it doesn't always make a noise.

After thinking about this could it be a dry pilot shaft bushing? With clutch not engaged/ pedal depressed tranny input shaft would not be rotating while crank would be if engine is running. T/O bearing off clutch fork very possible as others have suggested.

When I first went to a Mcleod I had to add play because the fork was touching the clutch cover when the pedal was depressed fully. Added play and all ok. I know you had no problem before but may have changed the adjustment upon reinstall.
Also, have also gotten the tob off the fork. A pedal stop stops that

Last edited:
-
Back