Strange shift points big block 727

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
So after great advice on here getting shifter adjusted, I have taken it for short drives.

The converter is just a stock one from a 70's truck, no idea on specs/stall.

Trans was new rebuild, no shift kit or mods I was told.

Lokar kickdown/pressure cable that is adjusted to one to one movement with throttle which is how I understood instructions.

Starts off great in 1st, under light throttle shifts very quickly and firmly into 2nd. Then takes awhile to get into 3rd but does always get there.

Is the pressure cable/lever responsible for that? What other adjustments can I make.

To be clear, I does not bother me at all just seems a bit odd

Video is just the 1st to 2nd, did not get up enough speed/rpm to go into 3rd

Here are two things you can do to make it shift like a performance car.

1. Install light weight 340 governor same governor used on Max wedge cars. You could also have yours turned down on a lathe to the same Weight. This will help hold the shift from drive to second gear to 6000 RPM's in flat out position depending on engine .

2. Install a partial throttle kick down valve on the Valve body. You can get these on line or from most older 71 to 77 small torque flight transmissions.

This can all be done by anyone with the trans in the car. I would never drive a full auto car or truck without those mods

So after great advice on here getting shifter adjusted, I have taken it for short drives.

The converter is just a stock one from a 70's truck, no idea on specs/stall.

Trans was new rebuild, no shift kit or mods I was told.

Lokar kickdown/pressure cable that is adjusted to one to one movement with throttle which is how I understood instructions.

Starts off great in 1st, under light throttle shifts very quickly and firmly into 2nd. Then takes awhile to get into 3rd but does always get there.

Is the pressure cable/lever responsible for that? What other adjustments can I make.

To be clear, I does not bother me at all just seems a bit odd

Video is just the 1st to 2nd, did not get up enough speed/rpm to go into 3rd

Sounds like your Lokar shift cable need to be adjusted a little bit longer. Does not take much, so just adjust it at the carb so it is a tad longer and try again. The comment that it firmly goes into 2nd is also an indication that the kickdown cable is a bit too short. You're almost there!

I changed from an edelbrock carb to a quick fuel 850 AN, anyway, new problem.

I adjusted the cable the same and now I cannot get it into third at all.

If I do the hold the lever full and carb and WOT for the cable like the instructions say, there is like two inches of open space before the cable will move with throttle. I also don't think its supposed to have tension on it at idle either?

When searching I found someone elses install, looks like there is about a half inch of travel on throttle before it starts to pull

Sorry, not sure why this is so confusing to me

I changed from an edelbrock carb to a quick fuel 850 AN, anyway, new problem.

I adjusted the cable the same and now I cannot get it into third at all.

If I do the hold the lever full and carb and WOT for the cable like the instructions say, there is like two inches of open space before the cable will move with throttle. I also don't think its supposed to have tension on it at idle either?

When searching I found someone elses install, looks like there is about a half inch of travel on throttle before it starts to pull

Sorry, not sure why this is so confusing to me
Would you please take a picture of how the kickdown is attached to throttle lever & to the bracket on the back of the carb that holds the cable?

-
Back