Streak free windows?

-

4spdcuda66

Reaction score
Who's got a good method to get streak free windows? I've tried a few things, including Windex and wiping them off with news paper. They looked good until the cool, dewy air hit them, then I could see all the streaks in them. The defroster cleared them up, but the streaks show up when the air is damp and cool. Anyone got the formula?

Hit'em a second time is all I can say loI

I have noticed big difference between windex and generic brands. That being said, I like the foaming glass cleaner in a spray can better. Keep wiping until they're dry

Use automotive glass cleaner. It is alcohol based. Windex and other household cleaners are ammonia based. All that does is grease car windows all to hell and back.

Nope. Just as long as it's alcohol based. You can even use regular rubbin alcohol.

dry paper towels and elbow grease - I swear it works like a charm! Get the vehicle set so you can see the streaks - I usually do it outside with the sun as my light source - and go at. It is more work than using a spray cleaner, but there's no liquid to leave behind..

dry paper towels and elbow grease - I swear it works like a charm! Get the vehicle set so you can see the streaks - I usually do it outside with the sun as my light source - and go at. It is more work than using a spray cleaner, but there's no liquid to leave behind..

I may have to try this first.

For the outside I use Bon Ami powder cleaner, it takes the greasy & oily stuff off so the wiper work well. Them I'll wash them, I've had good luck with Windex ( but not generic window cleaners) and auto glass cleaners ( actually Mopar works well!). I'll also use rain-x but not on front windshield, only the side and back.

Invisible Glass by Stoner. Automotive Glass cleaner. They also make More Shine less Time Tire treatment. Both are excellent.

Rocks, Hammer, Louisville Slugger...

Anyone of these is guaranteed to get rid of streaks, scratched spider marks, and of course fogging windows.

....and they are free, and you won't even have trouble convincing a neighborhood kid to help you out with it. ;)

I have been very happy with spray cleaner from NAPA , it's much better than some other brand I have tried.
Also, a tip I have used that works great on windows that appear to have a foggy appearance from fine scratches caused by fine dust on our dirt roads. Use "Purple Metal Polish". Put some on a rag and rub with moderate pressure in small circular motions . It won't take out deeper scratches. I have a friend who was going to have his windows replaced before I did this for him.
He thought it was great and didn't replace them .

Any particular brand?

Yup. Sprayway. Been using it since my detailer days way back when. Recommend it my customers now who come in looking for a quality glass cleaner. Every one of 'em has come back in to buy more after they use it.

^^^ What the pros use!! Don't buy it at the Home Depot though, not the same formula as what the pros get! Go directly to a glass company and get it!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 245
You expect this crowd to buy "professional" glass cleaner when 90% or more of them *****, piss and moan about how much the hobby costs? It's hard talking some of this bunch into not running used lifters on a camshaft, or buying a cam bearing tool, or any other tool or part many people consider necessary parts of the hobby. What a damn joke.

That figures. They'll buy "the best" 20 plus dollar glass cleaner, curb feelers and air fresheners, but dammit to hell something really important.

And a 99 cent bottle of isopropol alcohol will get the job done just as good.

I have been very happy with spray cleaner from NAPA , it's much better than some other brand I have tried.
Also, a tip I have used that works great on windows that appear to have a foggy appearance from fine scratches caused by fine dust on our dirt roads. Use "Purple Metal Polish". Put some on a rag and rub with moderate pressure in small circular motions . It won't take out deeper scratches. I have a friend who was going to have his windows replaced before I did this for him.
He thought it was great and didn't replace them .

Napa is the " Mac's " brand....,X2 on the vinegar.( also great for removing water spots..)

You expect this crowd to buy "professional" glass cleaner when 90% or more of them *****, piss and moan about how much the hobby costs? It's hard talking some of this bunch into not running used lifters on a camshaft, or buying a cam bearing tool, or any other tool or part many people consider necessary parts of the hobby. What a damn joke.

That figures. They'll buy "the best" 20 plus dollar glass cleaner, curb feelers and air fresheners, but dammit to hell something really important.
And a 99 cent bottle of isopropol alcohol will get the job done just as good

$20 glass cleaner? Where the hell did you get that? Most places it sells for $3.99 a can and if you have a Sam's Club card you can pick up a three pack for six bucks. The formula's not that much different that a hobbyist will be able to tell the difference and it's a good all around cleaner. Hell, I use it on my stainless steel sinks.

A clean windshield can be one of the most important things that you can have as a motorist. A clean windshield can save lives.

-
Back