Street Avenger 570 Help

-

bluefish1967

Reaction score
Recently purchased a used 570, in the box. Looks to be new or slightly used. I disassembled to inspect, checked all of the gaskets, jets, power valve etc... all are factory sizes. I removed the 600 Holley from my mild 318, and installed the 570. The engine would not start, as fuel was dumping into the carb as if the floats were stuck. After disassembling again, I found that the power valve does not screw in flush with the metering block, thus raw fuel is being sucked thru.
My question is, does a metering block from a 600 Holley interchange. And if so, why are the jet sizes on a 570 so much smaller than a 600 ( 54 main jets versus 66 on a 600 ). Thanks. Larry

Call Holley's tech line if no one gets back to you here. Tell them your problem, they'll help you.

On the size of your carb, it's closer to a 500 than a 600. The comparable cfm ratings on avenger carbs., compared to wet flowed carbs., are 10% smaller than advertised.

I bought a 770 thinking it was a good fit, but heard otherwise. When I pressed Holley on the cfm size, they explained the difference. It was basically a 700. I sent it back for a full refund.

I tried Holley's tech line, but couldn't get any answers from them. I have several spare metering blocks for 600 cfm carbs. In Holley's tech manual they do not list part numbers for the 570 Street avenger metering block.
Jegs and Summit show aftermarket metering blocks for sale. I'm just concerned about the big difference in jet sizes between the 570 and the 600, and if the metering blocks are different. I run 68-70 primary jets with the 600 carb. Factory sizes on the 570 are 54 and 65.
When the power valve is installed tight with the gasket, I can fit a .025 feeler gauge between the PV and the gasket/block. Gas is definately getting through into the well and directly into the manifold.
I may try the 600 metering block on the 570 this weekend ( the PV fits tight on it ), and use the recommended 54 jets...

I tried Holley's tech line, but couldn't get any answers from them. I have several spare metering blocks for 600 cfm carbs. In Holley's tech manual they do not list part numbers for the 570 Street avenger metering block.
Jegs and Summit show aftermarket metering blocks for sale. I'm just concerned about the big difference in jet sizes between the 570 and the 600, and if the metering blocks are different. I run 68-70 primary jets with the 600 carb. Factory sizes on the 570 are 54 and 65.
When the power valve is installed tight with the gasket, I can fit a .025 feeler gauge between the PV and the gasket/block. Gas is definately getting through into the well and directly into the manifold.
I may try the 600 metering block on the 570 this weekend ( the PV fits tight on it ), and use the recommended 54 jets...

I can't speak to jet size on that particular carb, but as far as the PV goes, try it with 2 gaskets, even if temporary, and see if it cures that problem.

Yes, I did try putting 2 gaskets on the PV. That cured the problem of gas dumping into the manifold. I"m just trying to find the best fix for the problem, as I really don't want to run with 2 gaskets.

As far as the jetting and carb cfm are concerned, I wasn't aware of the comparison of the Avenger carb vs wet flowed carbs, as stated above. I was trying to compare standard jet sizes for Holley carbs as listed in their tech manual, and to understand why some Holley carbs with smaller CFM than the 570 Avenger have similar or larger jet sizes. Makes more sense to me now.
I will still try to install the main metering block from a 600 on this carb to see if it works OK. I know that the PV fits properly on it. Thanks for the input. Larry

UPDATE...Worked on the main metering block today. Managed to cut the threads deeper, enough now that the Power Valve fits tight when installed. Swapped out the Edelbrock 600 today for the 570 Avenger. Engine started easily, idles good and the throttle response is much better than the Edy.
Also installed a new fan shroud and the Mopar Performance viscous fan assembly. Took the Cuda out for a couple of short runs in the heat ( 92 degrees and very humid ), engine never ran over 185. Need to make an adjustment on the accelerator pump, but overall was much crisper with this carb.Going to put some miles on it this week, and check the plugs to see if the jetting is close. I suspect it may be a little lean with the Comp 268 cam in it now.

UPDATE...Worked on the main metering block today. Managed to cut the threads deeper, enough now that the Power Valve fits tight when installed. Swapped out the Edelbrock 600 today for the 570 Avenger. Engine started easily, idles good and the throttle response is much better than the Edy.
Also installed a new fan shroud and the Mopar Performance viscous fan assembly. Took the Cuda out for a couple of short runs in the heat ( 92 degrees and very humid ), engine never ran over 185. Need to make an adjustment on the accelerator pump, but overall was much crisper with this carb.Going to put some miles on it this week, and check the plugs to see if the jetting is close. I suspect it may be a little lean with the Comp 268 cam in it now.

Happy your gettin' it worked out. By the way...Nice Fish:thumblef:

I'll bet the smaller jets in the street avenger might have something to do with the regular 600 not having a secondary metering block from the factory.

I don't know about smaller than similarly wet flowed carbs or not, but I went 11.91 @ 112, 1.60 60' with my 670 street avenger a couple weeks ago, with 4* less initial than I usually run, full tank of gas, and my trailer's spare tire in the trunk. Was trying to run 12.00- oops.

I'd be real interested to see what my car would do with a 770.

Full disclosure, my carb is jetted up two sizes from factory and has jet extensions. Otherwise is as it came from Holley.

Oldmanrick, thanks for the kind words.
Bluefish is a work in progress. Bought it for my wife, for her birthday in 2005. She's the same age as the car...and she loves Mopars and convertibles. I had a 73 Challenger at the time, just wanted the wife to have one she could call here own .
Health problems and finances forced us to scale back on everything. We decides to keep one car, and concentrate solely on it.
We have spent a great deal of time on the mechanics of the car to get it in good shape to drive. I believe we have finally turned the corner, having rebuilt the engine, trans, rearend, rewired the underdash and underhood, and serviced the brakes and suspension. Last year we swapped out the rallye wheels for the Cragar SS rims, which we think made a really big difference. We also reuppolstered the rear seat.
Now we can move on to the cosmetics. Paint, bumpers etc.

Oldmanrick, thanks for the kind words.
Bluefish is a work in progress. Bought it for my wife, for her birthday in 2005. She's the same age as the car...and she loves Mopars and convertibles. I had a 73 Challenger at the time, just wanted the wife to have one she could call here own .
Health problems and finances forced us to scale back on everything. We decides to keep one car, and concentrate solely on it.
We have spent a great deal of time on the mechanics of the car to get it in good shape to drive. I believe we have finally turned the corner, having rebuilt the engine, trans, rearend, rewired the underdash and underhood, and serviced the brakes and suspension. Last year we swapped out the rallye wheels for the Cragar SS rims, which we think made a really big difference. We also reuppolstered the rear seat.
Now we can move on to the cosmetics. Paint, bumpers etc.

You've put a lot of time and hard work in. Nice to see you concentrated on reliability and safety first, susp, brks, wiring and such. Some folks jump right on the cosmetics first, i've been guilty of it myself a time or two:).
Good luck to you and your wife on the future projects.

-
Back