Street Demon carb on 1972 340 sb intake

-

Montclaire

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1972 cast iron 340 spread bore intake. Can I run a Street Demon carb without an adapter/spacer? Thanks

I have a 750 Street Demon on a Weiand Action Plus spread bore intake no adapter, and my son has a 625 Street Demon on a factory cast iron spreadbore intake, with an adapter. Pretty sure its to elevate the carb so the linkage on the carb clears. I can check his this evening to verify, If you don't get a correct answer beforehand

That's what I was curious about. I am ok with a thick baseplate gasket but I don't want to have to run a mickey mouse adapter or spacer.

I took a gander, the carb will bolt onto the cast iron spread bore intake without an adapter. You just would use the inner mounting holes of the Street Demon, and remove the thermostatic choke from its tower to clear the carbs choke assembly location. The Demon comes with two gaskets and thin metal plate which they say must be used as part of any installation.

IMG_20190401_203912.jpg

IMG_20190401_203817.jpg

The Demon comes with two gaskets and thin metal plate which they say must be used as part of any installation.

I don't have one on my Ford truck and it runs great.

I don't have one on my Ford truck and it runs great.
Yeah, I never really studied things as to why its "needed" was on sons setup when he bought it, use it on mine cause they said to. I'll have to re-read the instructions for the reason they say to use it. Maybe to give better sealing on certain intakes?

Yeah, I never really studied things as to why its "needed" was on sons setup when he bought it, use it on mine cause they said to. I'll have to re-read the instructions for the reason they say to use it. Maybe to give better sealing on certain intakes?

If it's like the thin plate Edelbrock sells, it's to seal off the bulges on the outside edges of the secondary opening.

I wonder if the secondaries will get hung up on the cast iron intake without the spacer...

Used a spread bore to square bore adapter and ported the adapter for better air flow.

My 625 street demon hung up on that manifold even with the plates and gaskets that came with the carb. I had to run a spacer but went ahead and got an Edlebrock performer manifold and it fit with no spacer.

Yeah that's what I figured. I've been fighting against getting a performer but I think that's the road I am going to have to go down. There really isn't a big gain besides the weight and the eddy piece has to be port matched to the 340/360 but I would rather avoid the spacer.

-
Back