street racing or autocross setups?

-

73goldduster

Reaction score
i know that these cars are made for muscle, but the only sanctioned racing around my area is autocross, and i want to setup a fun car. i just bought a bone stock 73 gold duster and am ready to throw some cash at it. can anyone recomend what i should really focus on? i'm ready to do all new shocks, springs, bushings, anti-sway bars (it has none now), sub-frame connectors, torsion bars, did i forget anything? i also understand that switching to a shorter rear gear ratio will get me moving quick, who has a decent selection of gears? whew.... that's alot of questions ;)
thanks for any advice you guys can give me.
oh yeah, since i cant afford a new crate hemi, i will be running the original slant six for now, so quarter miles are not in the near future. :(

Here's a company that's going to be making some killer A body stuff around 11/1/07 it's very pricey though. http://www.xvmotorsports.com/products/category/index.cfm?cid=40&lvl=1
But if your just doing what's on your list and trying to keep it as cheap as possible, I'd call Summit Racing, they should be able to help you.
You also might want to upgrade the brakes and maybe add some braided brake lines for better feel.
Good luck with it, sounds like fun :thumbup:

Before you go throwing a lot of mods on your car, I suggest you download a copy of the SCCA rulebook. I'ts real easy to make mods that will place you into a category which will be expensive and difficult for an A body to compete in.

Look for a book called Mopar Suspensions. It's by Mike Martin and published by SA design. Then get the new rule book and alot of cash! Have fun!

Is that the same book as 'How to build a Super Street Mopar' by the same author? If so it's a good book with lots of useful info

Robbie2734 said:
Look for a book called Mopar Suspensions. It's by Mike Martin and published by SA design. Then get the new rule book and alot of cash! Have fun!

Oh dear God, is that book still around? I bought that book years ago, (I think it was actually printed on papyrus.) If it is still around, I recommend every Mopar junkie should have it. Wether it is updated or not, the information is still as viable today as it was twenty plus years ago when I got my copy. Is Joe Varde still racing his 2.2 litre Charger? Or was it a Daytona?????

Revhendo

Thanks everyone for the great info. :thumbup: does anyone know where i can get that book? sounds like essential reference material. i checked the scca solo rules, and it seems like i can do everything i want to, except use polyurethane bushings, or add frame connectors if i want to keep it in stock class. i think i'll start there and see what happens. thanks again for the tips!
hopefully i'll have some pics up soon, too.

-
Back