stress cracks

-

midlifecuda

Reaction score
I have a 64 cuda that has a 4 speed drive train from a 69 GTS to include the 340. I'm in the process of gutting it and I noticed that I have a bunch of stress cracks/tears where the tunnel meets the hump for the rear axle, basicly where the pinion snubber(?) is. Also a few random ones further out towards where the seat belts would mount. Anyone with ideas as to why this has happened. No evidence of a prior crash. Pete

Welcome aboard Pete, I'd guess that the car saw some pretty aggressive driving at one point in it's life. Not necessarily from a huge torque engine or impact. My 73 /6 duster had some cracks/tears in the floor and the trans tunnel but then again it did have a trailer hitch when I got it :angry7:. Possibly towed with the butt end up for a long time or A LOT of weight in the trunk for a long time. Do the cracks look old/rusted or something fairly new?
I'd say install some subframe connectors, fix the cracks and call it a day :cheers:

They don't appear to be old, but between the under coating and the fact that the inside of the car has remained dry, it's hard to tell. The car had ss springs added by the previous owner and there are subframe connecters already. Just hate to weld them up to only have them rearrear or appear in new places. Wondering if at sometime there was a missing pinion stubber and if this was a possible cause. Pete

-
Back