Stripe removal....

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
So Herbie could lay paint very well when he shot my Fury 13 years ago..... Don't know what he did different to the Shelby 5 years ago, but at the end of last year, it started to get a zillion little bumps that look like tiny pimples all over the roof, hood, bed rails and even the plastic light bar. Needless to say, it has progressed rapidly and my nown next project is sipping it down, prepping and doing my own paint since we did OK on Jake's 02 Ram last summer. So my question is, what is the best method for stripping the decals/stripes off the thing?

20170530_173953.jpg
20170530_173934.jpg

3M has something in a spray can that is supposed to remove stripes without damaging the paint underneath. Bought a can to remove the stripes on out 93 Dak but never got around to using it.

I'll look into it, but I'm not worried about the paint cuz I'm stripping it all off as well.

BTW - nice change to the profile pic!

3M has something in a spray can that is supposed to remove stripes without damaging the paint underneath. Bought a can to remove the stripes on out 93 Dak but never got around to using it.

Use a heat gun or hair drier to heat it before peeling, the adhesive softens over 140° F so it will be easier to peel off... Do it in sections a little at a time...

BTW - nice change to the profile pic!

Thanks! Bottom center is my Dad - WW II, Korean War and Viet Nam vet, Left is my oldest son from his Air Force days; right is youngest when he was in the Navy and yours truly top center just after Air Force basic in 66

So Herbie could lay paint very well when he shot my Fury 13 years ago..... Don't know what he did different to the Shelby 5 years ago, but at the end of last year, it started to get a zillion little bumps that look like tiny pimples all over the roof, hood, bed rails and even the plastic light bar. Needless to say, it has progressed rapidly and my nown next project is sipping it down, prepping and doing my own paint since we did OK on Jake's 02 Ram last summer. So my question is, what is the best method for stripping the decals/stripes off the thing?

View attachment 1715052732 View attachment 1715052733
I have the same thing on the top of my white intrepid. I was told the primer/sealer undercoat was not allowed sufficient time for the solvents to totally flash off before color coat was applied, so the solvents are sealed in and are drawn out by the sun especially on the horizontal surfaces.

I agree with krazykuda; use a heat gun. I have a $10 Harbor Freight heat gun that has worked great for years. It wirks great on stripes and vinyl graphics.

Wirks?? So much for my proofreading skills.

Last edited:
-
Back