Stripe removal?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
Vic and i have a 74 Duster that has the factory stripes on it but we will be replacing and putting on new ones. Any tips on removing the old ones? I've got a heat gun and a razor unit. Any other ideas?

As far as anything I have ever heard about removing striping you are right down the alley with the heat gun. I have peeled them off with my hand or a rag to avoid scratching the paint with the razor but the blow dryer or heat gun usually seems to be the easiest.

Jeff

Plastic razor? They are the easiest on paint. About the only other option that I know of is an "erasure wheel" that fits on a drill. They are not too cheap if you are only taking one set of strips off, though.
C

It will be a total repaint so scratches are not a problem. I scraped off the Gold Duster emblems with ease but will need some sanding to finalize for paint. I can do the heat gun and razor before i do a total sand job.

Try oven cleaner if you are repainting.
For surfaces that you don't want to mess up, there is the heat gun/plastic sqeegee method. Laquer thinner or brake clean will take care of the residue.

About the only other option that I know of is an "erasure wheel" that fits on a drill. They are not too cheap if you are only taking one set of strips off, though.
C

These eraser wheels can be found at any NAPA store. They will take the stripe off without any damage to the paint OR METAL. Even if you are doing a compete repaint, nicks in the sheet metal will mean more work. This is the safest way to go

3m wood grain & stripe remover works great. I took the stripes off a few cars and they basically fell off with this stuff. Didn't even leave a mark on the paint. I have tried the others above and the heat gun comes in a distant 2nd.8)

3Ms stuff works great. Used it in addition to adhesive remover after the stripe was off, left the paint perfect. Razor blade is the fast way, you may go through a few blades, buy the 100 pack and change as needed. I would use the razor if you're repainting.

-
Back