Stripped trans mount threads?

-

swinger

Reaction score
What size are the threads for the two bolts that go up thru the trans mount, into the threaded holes on the tail of a 904 trans? It feels like mine may be stripped. Anyone else experience this, and is there enough meat there to tap to the next larger size? Even though the bolts go thru I don't think there's enough room to get a nut on the top to hold it together?.....

Take the bolts out and look up into the threads. I've seen guys put bolts in that are way too short and only grabe the first 3 or 4 threads and strip them out and the rest are ok so all you need to do is run a thread chaser tap to clean up the threads and put in longer bolts. If that don't work your only option short of replacing the extension housing is what Dodge71demon said to install heli-coils.

if they are stripped, a helicoil will fix those threads up new and stronger than they ever were before. the size of the threads are 7/16-14

What size are the threads for the two bolts that go up thru the trans mount, into the threaded holes on the tail of a 904 trans? It feels like mine may be stripped. Anyone else experience this, and is there enough meat there to tap to the next larger size? Even though the bolts go thru I don't think there's enough room to get a nut on the top to hold it together?.....

I have had some issues before I learned to mark everything after getting bolts mixed up with bolts from other projects. If you did that like me is it possible that you have a metric bolt that you are trying to use?

Thanks. I think the bolts that were in there were 3/8-16, obviously barely hanging on. I ran a 7/16-14 tap through the holes, and popped in some new bolts. Still feels just a little bit sloppy, but much better than it was. I'll probably need to pop in helicoils in the future....

Helicoils should be mandatory on all threaded aluminum holes

Fixed it up today for good with a couple of helicoils!
Thanks again for the advice.

-
Back