Stripping paint out of a engine block?

-

Plik

Ragin Cajun
Reaction score
I'm in the process of tearing down my short block to clean and relubricate the rotating assembly. The block was completely painted inside and out by the previous owner. Well, I get everything out and noticed there are some spots where the coating is chipping off on the bottom end of the vally. I don't really feel comfortable running it with loose paint inside the block so i want to strip it all out. Question is, what is the best way to go about doing this without damaging the machined surfaces or the cam bearings for that matter? I'm thinking ether soda blasting or aircraft stripper. The aircraft stripper would be cheaper and a whole lot messier, but do i run a greater risk damaging the machine surfaces with a soda blast? What do you guys think? Any other alternatives?

Painting the inside of an engine block is obviously not for looks. It's meant to both seal the casting pores and also promote better oil drainback to the pan. I've always done it on my engines with never a problem.
If you're concerned about flaking paint, maybe go over the loose areas with a suitable abrasive to clean off all the loose paint and rough up the remaining paint. Wash and dry well to remove any oils, then repaint with a good paint. I used Rustoleum red primer years ago and, like I said, never had a problem.

I understand the concept behind it, but I'd rather get it all out even if i were to repaint it. From what I've read soda blast looks like the way to go. Any other opinions?

Take the block to a machine shop and have it hot tanked that will clean the whole block and won't mess the surface

I talked with the machine shop this morning, they said the hot tank might not take all the paint out. I just picked up a soda blaster at harbor freight, I'll give that a shot.

-
Back