Stripping primer on a 65

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I've got a 65 Valiant 200. I'm planning on using it as if you can believe it a back up car. Basic 170, drums, automatic on the column, manual steering, AM radio, and a heater. I definitely don't want to dump a bunch of money into like I've gone way over on my Charger. Luckily it has most everything there minus a couple interior trim pieces. The previous owner or owner before that for some reason painted the car more complete than you can imagine. But they brushed it on. I never understood why they went to such great lengths to get the primer all the way behind the fenders and in every crevice of the door jambs. Well I'm wanting to strip that top layer off of the door jambs to reveal the original tan. I tried the spray can auto strip on one door and it seems to work decently but hard to get in the crevices. Is there something else I could try to soften up that layer of primer and power wash it off. Brake fluid? Spraying thinner out of a bottle? I'm wanting to save it from having to have the jambs sanded and painted when I haul it off to the paint shop. It just has to be clean I won't even touch up the original paint under it if I can get this top layer of primer off.

One of the best things to use to strip primer/ etc off of original paint is Oven Cleaner. cheap-o Brand works, BUT Easy Off brand is the best! Its more expensive per can but, it works like a dream.

Spray it on, let it foam up for a bit, then like you said, pressure wash it off. It wont harm the original finish!

-
Back