Stripping Questions

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I started stripping the hood last night. I started by sanding the rust the tried stripper then back to the sanding. I found one very large repair in the front passenger corner. I know I need to take all of the old repairs out especially since they are cracked but this one is VERY thick. Once it is out what are options for repair? If I remember filler is designed to be less then a quarter inch and I am pretty sure it is deeper then that. I am considering cutting out the frame underneath so I can actually get at the damaged metal.

if you have access to a stud gun that would be best, or if you can get some kinda pry-tool in behind it...you might be able to pry it out. you might be able to run it up to a local body shop and just give em a couple bucks to pop it out quick for you.

I started stripping the hood last night. I started by sanding the rust the tried stripper then back to the sanding. I found one very large repair in the front passenger corner. I know I need to take all of the old repairs out especially since they are cracked but this one is VERY thick. Once it is out what are options for repair? If I remember filler is designed to be less then a quarter inch and I am pretty sure it is deeper then that. I am considering cutting out the frame underneath so I can actually get at the damaged metal.
I have used body filler for yrs.and wen I did custom work have used it up to 2 inches. thick and has never cracked or come out its all in how its mixed. that being said if you show a picture of your dent it would be easier to help you with it..........Artie

I do not have access to a stud gun and I can not afford to invest in one at this time. I am going to look and see if I can get a pry bar in place.

As for laying body filler I appreciate that it can be layed thicker but I would prefer to not do that if at all possible.

So I looked a little closer and I do not see how I can get anything under the frame but I have an idea. What about drilling a hole into the frame to get a pry bar or slap hammer under it?

OMG I just finally found 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch into filler what they were fixing. Let me rephrase that HIDING. Something fell on the hood and crushed that corner. The damage is so bad they did not even cut out the damaged pieces. They just covered it with filler. I am either going to have take the frame off the hood and cut and fix it or replace it. I will get some pictures once I get all the filler off.

If $99. is too much, you can always get a 1lb slide hammer with a hook attachment, and go old school. Drill holes in the metal, and use the hook to grab it and pull it out. More precise than a pry bar, and better than cutting out the frame.

I wish it was that simple it is not just a dent but there is actually missing metal. From what I have uncovered it appears a branch or something fell on it and it tore some of the metal and definitely deformed it. I have not had a chance to keep digging out the damage but based on what I have found I expect a whole lot more crinkled hood.

Wow, the hood steel was actually punctured? I bet a piece of wood didn't do that. In what condition is the hood framework?

-
Back