Stroker?

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
To make a very long story short, I kinda' got screwed over a bit & am now having to completely rethink my engine build. I have a 340 block, a roller cam, a set of Edelbrock 60779 heads, & am wanting opinions on stroker kits. Things like the strength differences between the cast & forged cranks, H & I beam rods, how much power & RPMs they can handle, etc. I'm building a 6 pack car for the street with a 4 speed & 3.91 gears & was thinking a cast crank/I beam rod combo would probably work for me, but stronger is always better, right? I've already ordered the book "How To Build Big Inch Mopar Small Blocks", but since strokers are all pretty new to me I figured the more info/opinions the better. So, go on, educate me & overload me with information. I'll just cut off the top of my head, pour it all in, & let my brain start sorting through it. :read2:

go to scat enterprises online catalog, they offer a rotating assembly, cast crank,i beams rods, and forged kb's. called and talked to them and said they had people running close to 700hp with same setup of cast and i beams with no trouble. they are not in summits catalog but if you call and ask for it and tell them what it isthey can get it and its just a fuzz over $900. just what i found, hopefully purchase one next winter, good luck8)

700hp is alot on cast internals. Im kinda stuck on the same thing im not sure if i should buy the forged with the h-beams, or cast with i beams. GL with your engine build.

Just built a 408 from a Magnum Crate engine. Bought rotating assy.(Eagle I beam SIR, Protru forged pistons, chrome moly rings, Eagle 4.00 cast crank) from Indy. Didn't have to clearance anything for the stroker kit. Terribly easy build. Unbelievable power, throttle response and torque. Pump gas to boot. If I can do it, anybody can!

What kind of cam, heads, & compression ratio do you have? Does anybody know if you can run a windage tray on a 4" stroke crank?

What kind of cam, heads, & compression ratio do you have? Does anybody know if you can run a windage tray on a 4" stroke crank?

Yes but you will need to modify it so it clears the crank. I went with A Kevco 6 qt pan, has baffles, tray and gates in the pan.

This is what I have:

360 Magnum block bored .030 over, decked, honed w/plates
Eagle 4.00 crank
Eagle I-beam rods
Protru forged pistons
chrome moly rings
block zero decked
Milodon Windage tray
Milodon 8 quart pan
ATI Balancer
ARP main and head bolts
Eddy Magnum RPM heads out of the box, no porting
Hughes custom hyd. roller cam .565 exh., .555 int., 242 and 246 @.050 Hughes matching valve springs
crane 1.6 roller rockers
MSD Ready To Run Ignition
Mopar M1 Single Plane
Quick Fuel 750 D.P. Q Series
Black Magic Electric Fan
998 w/2.74 low
Dynamic 3700 stall
4.11 w/Powertraxx
28 inch M/T ET Streets
Compression 10.5-11.0 to 1? Pistons came out of bore by about .005, compensated w/cometic head gasket, can't remember thickness.

Yes, you can run a Milodon windage tray w/4" stroke. This is a very easy build, I promise.

go to scat enterprises online catalog, they offer a rotating assembly, cast crank,i beams rods, and forged kb's. called and talked to them and said they had people running close to 700hp with same setup of cast and i beams with no trouble. they are not in summits catalog but if you call and ask for it and tell them what it isthey can get it and its just a fuzz over $900. just what i found, hopefully purchase one next winter, good luck8)

So your saying go to here:

http://www.scatcrankshafts.com/

And then call Summit with the kit's part number and they can get it?

We have broken 2 cast cranks ,1 eagle ,1 scat each had about 100 passes, shifting at 6000. I suggest you get steel. unless you are street driving, and not using the horsepower you are making to it's fullest. JMO. Dane

This is what I have:

360 Magnum block bored .030 over, decked, honed w/plates
Eagle 4.00 crank
Eagle I-beam rods
Protru forged pistons
chrome moly rings
block zero decked
Milodon Windage tray
Milodon 8 quart pan
ATI Balancer
ARP main and head bolts
Eddy Magnum RPM heads out of the box, no porting
Hughes custom hyd. roller cam .565 exh., .555 int., 242 and 246 @.050 Hughes matching valve springs
crane 1.6 roller rockers
MSD Ready To Run Ignition
Mopar M1 Single Plane
Quick Fuel 750 D.P. Q Series
Black Magic Electric Fan
998 w/2.74 low
Dynamic 3700 stall
4.11 w/Powertraxx
28 inch M/T ET Streets
Compression 10.5-11.0 to 1? Pistons came out of bore by about .005, compensated w/cometic head gasket, can't remember thickness.

Yes, you can run a Milodon windage tray w/4" stroke. This is a very easy build, I promise.

How much hp do you think you are putting out with this setup?

How much hp do you think you are putting out with this setup?

Don't really know yet. Trying to get everything set up to take advantage of the engine. I'll let yall know after my trip to the track April 5. Got to get the 275/60 M/T E.T. set up.

My 416 stroker is swinging a Mopar h.d. cast crank putting out 520 h.p. running 3 seasons now no problems...

yeah thats right get the part # to summit, may have to be the tech department i can't remember but they can get it8)

What about balancing the engine?

I have heard that you will spend far more to balance an engine with a cast crank,so you may as well spend the money on the forged crank.

Spent $350.00 on getting my rotating assy. balanced, however it was worth it. No protests so far all the way to 7000 RPM. However didn't mean to go that far as I couldn't shift fast enough and the BF drag radials did nothing to help. Balancing is just as important as the rest of the combo.

That seems kind of high. My guy will balance every thing for $100. I run a 392 stroker.

We actually ordered a cast setup from super engine builders who is the one who has them listed on ebay. They have good quality stuff.
I just ordered mine a couple days ago for a 360. Scat forged 4340 crank, forged scat I beams, Keith black Forged 30 over flat tops, All the rings, bearings and balancing shipped to the door for $1770. Good up to 750 hp.

The engine combo for my 408 engine build is based on a 5.9L magnum block that dynoed at 520 HP.
It has Mopar cast 4.000" stroke crank
K-1 rods with ARP ibolts
CP pistons with 10.4 CR
It was put together from individual ordered parts so it was balanced by local engine shop for internal balance. The balance job was only about $150 but it required almost $300 in mallory metal to balance it. If you go with external balance it can be done without adding the mallory. I wonder if some brands of cranks can be internal balanced without adding metal? I think life of crank depends greatly on balance job and rpm. Get a good balance and keep under 7000 rpm and a cast crank should last.

-
Back