Strombecker 66`Barracuda slots.

-

SWED67barracuda

Reaction score
Hi there Gals a`n Pals.I found this fantastic slotcar track. Are these common in the states? Is it a promotion thing or were they sold in toy stores ? As the box tells there should be a Belvedere track to. Does anyone have some more info on these.

IMG_20170122_173218.jpg

IMG_20170122_173231.jpg

IMG_20170122_173247.jpg

IMG_20170122_173304.jpg

IMG_20170122_173318.jpg

THat's an awesome find. I know nothing about it's history or origine but I would love to find one.

I am almost 60 years old and played with H.O. slot cars as a kid. I do not ever remember seeing those before, although I remember the Strombecker name, they made 1/32 and I think 1/24 sets. I will guess that was a Chrysler promotion. Dealers here used to do that all the time: Toys, jackets,... don't see that any more. That is an awesome find, congratulations!

THat's an awesome find. I know nothing about it's history or origine but I would love to find one.
You can believe my eyes was about to pop out when i saw it. Since i found it here in Sweden it must be promotional or someone brought it here from the states.

Last edited:
I remember back in the day AFX cars, G+'s etc. Wish I kept it all. Those big car slots are totally cool!

Dave

Yep, Dealer promo stuff. Plymouth and Dodge both had them. If I remember Dodge had Chargers in the 66 time frame. Cool find.

I mowed a lot of lawns and shoveled a lot of snow so I could go to the Chrysler/Plymouth garage and get my slot car set. I walked by the dealership every day on my way to and from school so I always kept an eye out in case they had something cool in the showroom. One day around Christamas they had a table set up near the front window with the awesome slot car setup on it. It was a few months before I could own one myself. I still have it. It's stored away on the top shelf in my shop.

Very rarely do i see these pop up in the states for sale. The bonus is it looks like everything is intact, and the box is in very good shape. Id recommend displaying it, and not using it.

Strombecker made tootsietoys, along with other toys. I like that set you got a lot!

I have a set also, minus the instruction sheet. Reader Digest ran the Plymouth car line ads and the last page was the slot cars. I also have a large advertisment of these, aprox 6ftx 2ft which must have been a dealer or store promotional

Very rarely do i see these pop up in the states for sale. The bonus is it looks like everything is intact, and the box is in very good shape. Id recommend displaying it, and not using it.
I have not tested it since we got 220v electricity here , but I`m getting a transformator . It is complete , only thing is someone put some of the stickers on the white Barracuda. When they appear , what kind of money do they sell for? Just asking , I`ll keep it. Ubbe.

Some boys just cant let go of there toys.....
I still have a few hundred feet of track too...
20170204_221013.jpg
20170204_221055.jpg

Thats great ! The 1/32 takes up a lot more room thsn H/O gauge...lol
When did they stop producing 1/32? Or is it still available ? I see some more modern models there....

Thats great ! The 1/32 takes up a lot more room thsn H/O gauge...lol
When did they stop producing 1/32? Or is it still available ? I see some more modern models there....
1/32 is da thing. Even summit sells them. Friday night,a bunch of car guys and gals , some beer..... , only way you can drive and drink .

Do you rewind armatures , change gearing change magnets and such ?
My buddy and I would stay up all night long as kids building cars and racing.
We had a 8'x8' setup complete with intersections grass , buildings , street lighting and an HO Railroad with crossings ! It was pretty cool !
That would take a warehouse in 1/32 ...
Lol

Do you rewind armatures , change gearing change magnets and such ?
My buddy and I would stay up all night long as kids building cars and racing.
We had a 8'x8' setup complete with intersections grass , buildings , street lighting and an HO Railroad with crossings ! It was pretty cool !
That would take a warehouse in 1/32 ...
Lol
Noo , thats when we were kids too . Now we fiddle with Mopar.

Very cool set and in pretty good shape. These and most sixties slot cars (& toys) are fairly rare in really good condition. Yes these were sold in Dealerships.
There are a few guys that make replacement tires for these, check on eBay. You should be able to run them on your Scalextric track but the guide will be too deep so you might need to trim it.
These guys have original drivers figures for those Barracudas
Strombecker Slot Cars & Parts

Very cool set and in pretty good shape. These and most sixties slot cars (& toys) are fairly rare in really good condition. Yes these were sold in Dealerships.
There are a few guys that make replacement tires for these, check on eBay. You should be able to run them on your Scalextric track but the guide will be too deep so you might need to trim it.
These guys have original drivers figures for those Barracudas
Strombecker Slot Cars & Parts
Thanks for the info and link , very cool . Yes the guide is to deep for the track , and those old tires are pretty hard now .

-
Back