Strong Gas Smell....?

-

LandonE

Reaction score
Hey guys, whenever I'm driving my car (74 Roadrunner) I can sometimes smell a very strong gas smell. I can also smell it more when I hit the gas harder. What do you think this problem could be? Carb?

Thanks.

Carb might need to be tuned properly. I get this sometimes on my Dart. We're still trying to find the perfect tune for the carb.

Also check fuel lines and filters might have a small leak, make sure you check the tank and lines in the back of the car the fumes will move around making it hard to decifer where its coming from when driving.

I've smelt the unburned gas smell even standing beside the front of the car. I know the lines are good, I haven't seen any leaks. I've tried to tune the carb better, but when I also kick down so the 4 barrels open up, it bogs out for a second or two before enguaging.

Sounds rich what carb are you running and what power valve to you have in it.

Definitely sounds like you need to rebuild or replace the carb to start with.

Attachments

• P7110057.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 95
Try rebuild kit first if that does'nt work a good holley 600 should be plenty if she's a stock 318.

What about the charcoal canister and carb vent hose?
Make sure the carb vent is connected to the charcoal canister and all the vacuum hoses are intact.

-
Back