Strut rod differences

-

71 swinger 225

Reaction score
From what I’ve been reading on here there is a difference between ‘72 and older and ‘73 and newer A body strut rods. I see that the ‘73 and up use a sleeve between the bushings and the older style don’t. My question is can you use a ‘73 strut rod in a ‘72 as long as you use the ‘73 style bushings with the sleeve? Thanks

Yes, you can use the ‘73 style in a ‘72.

If you use a 67-72 style strut rod (fine threads) you need to use the 67-72 style bushing.

If you use a 73-76 style strut rod (course threads) you need to use the 73-76 style two piece style bushings.

Either kind can be used on any K frame ‘67-76 as long as the bushings match the strut rod. The thickness of the bushings is different, so the shoulder on the strut rod moved between the different versions to keep the effective length of the strut rod the same.

It’s also worth mentioning that the ‘73-76 version of the bushings is currently out of stock at pretty much every major retailer. Summit, RockAuto, Jegs, and Amazon all show the Moog K7068 as out of stock. They’ve been that way for over a year. And all of those retailers have either cancelled my order, waitlisted an order, or straight up won’t allow those parts to be ordered or waitlisted as of the last few months.

-
Back