strut rod problem

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble removing the strut rods from a K-frame ....this problem is that I cant get the rod to stop turning with the nut.

I put a pipe wrench on it and the pipe wrench don't stop it .....and at one point the pipe wrench started gouging the metal and still didn't stop it enough to get the nut off.

anyone else have this problem and how did you get around it?

Attachments

• CIMG3145.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 266
  • CIMG3142.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 269
  • CIMG3144.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 275
  • CIMG3143.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 267
do you have air tools?

whichever end you have loosened --tighten it up-- then loosen the other end-- works like a champ.

this only works with air power-- I only have a cheapo 1/2" impact-- I have to manually break the nut loose (1/2" breaker bar) then hit it with the gun-- sometimes I spin it for a few threads (slows down too much) -- stop --reverse it - spray acetone/tranny fluid mix-- repeat.

I've found this method works great vs the method you are trying now--- if you do not have air power then God Bless!!

Lawrence

I've had to get a wiz wheel and cut a slot in the nut and then crack it with an air chisel. If you're replacing with new bushings, they come with new nuts anyway.

Put the control arm back on the other end, it'll keep the rod from spinning (hopefully) while your dealing with the K frame side.

Tighten up that pipe wrench and hit the nut with an impact. Mix up some acetone and transfluid 50-50 for a penetrating oil.

Tighten up that pipe wrench and hit the nut with an impact. Mix up some acetone and transfluid 50-50 for a penetrating oil.

I been doing that but then the pipe wrench gouges the metal and the shocks from the impact make it loosen up and start turning right away.

heat and PB blaster. may take a few cycles.

A-body?

I've got a set of 73+ strut rods I'd send you for the price of shipping. I switched mine over to adjustable. I believe the 73+ are a bit longer, but they work better with the re-popped bushings if I remember right.

That one is getting to the point where I wouldn't want to re-use it anyway. And it'll make you feel better to cut it out. :D

Heat and penatrant a few times as others have said and if it still wont budge then split the nut. Replace the nut with a grade 8 with nylon from your local fastener outlet

You should always take the front nut off first. Put the rear back on with the control arm as stated above.

I'm with them, if locking 2 nuts together on the control arm end so you have something to put a wrench on to keep it all from turning doesn't work, I would split/cut the nut off. I have run into the same situation a few times, putting the control arm back on might work, but when I tried it, I didn't have any sucess unless I could put some kind of load/bind on it to keep from turning (like having it up in the car and resting it back on the ground a little).

After having multiple situations like this with various suspension peices, I now try to leave the frontend on the ground a little, supported by jackstands, and I loosen the lca pivot bolt and strut rod bolts.

Hope you get it off, that gets frustrating.

BTW, I have a bunch of those nuts that I took to work and bead blasted, I can send you one if you want to keep it looking original.

-
Back