Strut Rod Replacement

-

two_70darts

Reaction score
any one replace there strut rods before i bought the heavy duty ones from jst spnsn and was woundering if any one can walk me trough the steps to put these things on mucho apr,would be great ty

ca:cheers:

Before you start you would be well served to coat all the related nuts and bolts you will be loosening with a good spray lube/penetrant. Now with the car on jack stands under the frame rails back off the torsion bar tension to zero. Then remove the retaining rings from the rear torsion bar sockets. Next you will want to remove the lower control arm retaning nuts from the stub shafts that protrude through the K member. Using a small pin punch drive the roll pins from the front of the strut rods so you can remove the nuts and bushings. Remove the front nuts from the strut rods first because they use lock nuts which draw tension on the shaft which will be held by the nuts on the control arm end. Now you can use the 3/4 socket on the control arm end of the strut rods, you will probably want to hold them with vise grips or a pipe wrench if they spin.... if it is a show car a non maring strap wrench should work for you. With a large pry bar you should be able to move the lower control arms to the rear far enough to clear the the short end of the strut rod. Once they are cleared from the control arm you should be able to pull them from the K member. Be sure and note that there is a front and rear to the replacement bushing set. If you are using the one piece urethane bushings be sure and insert them from the front of the K member..... Reassemble in reverse order from above. Hope I haven't missed any steps here guys...

Belden

Before you start you would be well served to coat all the related nuts and bolts you will be loosening with a good spray lube/penetrant. Now with the car on jack stands under the frame rails back off the torsion bar tension to zero. Then remove the retaining rings from the rear torsion bar sockets. Next you will want to remove the lower control arm retaning nuts from the stub shafts that protrude through the K member. Using a small pin punch drive the roll pins from the front of the strut rods so you can remove the nuts and bushings. Remove the front nuts from the strut rods first because they use lock nuts which draw tension on the shaft which will be held by the nuts on the control arm end. Now you can use the 3/4 socket on the control arm end of the strut rods, you will probably want to hold them with vise grips or a pipe wrench if they spin.... if it is a show car a non maring strap wrench should work for you. With a large pry bar you should be able to move the lower control arms to the rear far enough to clear the the short end of the strut rod. Once they are cleared from the control arm you should be able to pull them from the K member. Be sure and note that there is a front and rear to the replacement bushing set. If you are using the one piece urethane bushings be sure and insert them from the front of the K member..... Reassemble in reverse order from above. Hope I haven't missed any steps here guys...

Belden

THATNKZ ALOT I HAVE A FEELING THAT THAT IS GOING TO DO IT REALY APRICIATE THE INFO THANKZ ALOT

CHRISTIAN ANDERSON 70 340 DART

:cheers:

Belden

THATNKZ ALOT I HAVE A FEELING THAT THAT IS GOING TO DO IT REALY APRICIATE THE INFO THANKZ ALOT

CHRISTIAN ANDERSON 70 340 DART:cheers:

If your car has a sway bar you may have to disconnect the links as well......

-
Back